We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay Harbor and on to Rockland

Which Boothbay Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Boothbay Harbor and on to Rockland

We've reserved accommodation at the Tug Boat Inn in August and have seen mixed reports on TA. Does anyone have a suggestion of the best rooms to request to be sure of a good view of the Harbor?

Any suggestions on where the best places to eat are?

Also we'll be going on tghe next day to Rockland and then on further north later. We understand that we'll be in time for the lobster festival - any tips about what not to miss, travelling times, parking etc would be very much appreciated

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boothbay Harbor and on to Rockland

I have never stayed at the Tugboat Inn but have been intrigued by the idea. Please let us know how it went. I hope you have at least communicated with the owner to say you want to be sure to get a good harbor view.

Rockland gets pretty congested during lobster fest, so be prepared for some traffic, especially late afternoon,early evening. It's not really that bad compared to Boston or New York, but it's a lot of traffic for Maine. I will be there July 31 myself.

Sydney Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boothbay Harbor and on to Rockland

Many thanks for you comments

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boothbay Harbor and on to Rockland

Hi cherub21,

I haven't stayed at the Tugboat in eons. But it does have a great location directly on the water and in town. Like another poster suggested, you can request a room with a good waterview and hope for the best! Good luck :).

As far as restaurant recommendations. For breakfast I like the Ebb Tide for good, basic bacon and eggs, great blueberry pancakes/muffins, etc. Its very small and rustic with only 10 tables or so right on Commercial St.

For lunch try the Blue Moon Cafe (directly on the water). They have anything from mexican, to chowders, to salads to crab cakes.

For dinner depending on whether you want casual or upscale, here are a few favorites I like and dine at often:

For lively atmosphere directly on the water and live rock music at 8, try McSeagull's. The food is good, but not exceptional. Its the atmosphere that appeals with its large bar area, views to the harbor and outdoor seating.

Another waterfront place that's alot of fun with better food is the Rocktide on Atlantic Ave. Great sunsets and harbor views. Live piano music and nice atmosphere. There's the more formal dining room and also the casual pub/outdoor area also.

Away from the harbor a bit is the Thistle on the corner of Oak and Union. There's the restaurant side and the pub side (pub has a tv and is very small). Plus a beautiful outdoor dining area surrounded by trees and small sparking white lights and music. Very romantic, beautiful spot to dine on during a warm summer's evening.

Further out of town, but still in BBH proper is the Russell House's Uptown Grille run by Laura Frances and her husband. Again, there's the pub side or the restaurant side. You can get both menu's at either location. They offer anything from burgers to comfort food to gourmet. Everything's delicious and they have a nice atmosphere.

For great location and very good food, you might want to try the Ocean Pt. Inn on Ocean Pt. The location feels a million miles away (though its only about a 10 minute drive from downtown BBH), there's views to lighthouses, islands, open ocean and wonderful sunsets. Wonderful spot for a walk after dinner also.

For lobster in the rough try either the Lobster Dock on Atlantic Ave on the east side or Robinson's Wharf just over the swing bridge on Southport Island. Both are directly on the water with great views and good, basic seafood, burgers, etc.

For a nice glass of wine and fruit and cheese plate or light dining, try the Townsend Ave. Coffee and Wine Bar. There's a revoling art show, nice music in the background, comfortable seating w/some sofa's as well as tables and a very homey atmosphere. They offer free wi-fi so you can catch up with your email if so desired!

Think that's about it. Hope I haven't overwhelmed you. Have a wonderful trip and don't forget to post back and let us know how it goes :).

cozyharbor

P.S. While in Rockland try to walk the jetty out to the lighthouse and take a peek at the Farnsworth Art Museum for some beautiful pieces.

Sydney Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boothbay Harbor and on to Rockland

Sincere thanks.

We appreciate the time and effort you have put into helping us make the most of a special holiday far from home.

May you have a great summer.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
967 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boothbay Harbor and on to Rockland

Thanks for the great list of restaurants in BBH Cozyharbor. I'm making my first trip to Maine next week, staying at the Harbor House B&B and will definitely try out your suggestions.

6. Re: Boothbay Harbor and on to Rockland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor