We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lighthouse tours

maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
lighthouse tours

What is the best lighthouse tour to take out of Boothbay Harbor?

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lighthouse tours

Hi rover11,

I haven't taken any boat tours recently. But when I did, I loved Captain Fish's tours. They have nice, well maintained boats, were informative, had a great variety of intenararies and the narrative was often fun and witty also! The boats leave right out of downtown BBH and I'm betting you won't be disappointed.

If you want to drive to see lighthouses in BBH, here is a list of lighthouses and general directions on how to get to them.

One of the best places to see 4 lighthouses from a general area is Ocean Pt. Take route 96 towards East Boothbay from the route 27 intersection where Hannaford's is located. Drive to the end (about 6 to 7 miles). Either drive or walk the Shore Road (about 1 mile each way). At various points you'll be able to see Ram Island Light, Burnt Island Light, the Cuckholds Lighthouse and Sequin Island Light. The closet light is Ram Island just across the narrow body of water between Ocean Pt and Ram Island.

To see the Cuckholds at a closer range and Hendricks Headlight, take route 27 south to Southport Island which is accessable over a small swingbridge. Stay on route 27 till you come to the Southport General Store and turn right there onto Beach Road. Drive to the end (maybe 3/4 of a mile or less) and you'll come to a very scenic, pretty beach and the lighthouse.

Get back on 27 south and continue about 4 to 5 miles or so till the road veers to the left. Shortly thereafter you'll see a sign on the right for the Town Dock. Turn right there. Follow and continue till you come to the small parking area of the Town Dock. Get out and walk onto the wharf and you'll be able to see the Cuckholds Lighthouse. Plus the former summer home on the island across the way of the actress who played the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz :).

Other daytrips to see lighthouses by car would be to the Pemaquid peninsula to see Pemaquid Light. This lighthouse sits high on a bluff and has awesome views out to sea above rocky shoreline. You can actually drive pretty much right up to it. There's a nice little museum/gift shop also along with a restaurant nearby. The drive from BBH takes about 45 minutes.

Further north or downeast as some might say, are 3 more lighthouses worth visiting. Two are on the St. George peninsula ie Owl's Headlight and Marshall Pt. Light. The third is a bit further north off of route 1 in Rockland called the Rockland Breakwater Light. This one is really cool as you can walk the mile long jetty jutting out to sea to get to it. You'll see the Camden Hills to the west and open ocean and islands to the north and east. Rockland Harbor is to the south. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy!

Okay, I probably listed more than you're interested in or have the time to visit :).

Enjoy your stay in BBH and don't forget to post again to give us a trip report!

cozyharbor

2. Re: lighthouse tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, December 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor