We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Gate Inn

Chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Gate Inn

Please provide an updated review of the Ocean Gate Inn. Their web site looks impressive but the reviews on this forum are luke warm at best. It appears that the inn may have had a major renovation with new owners recently.

Our family with 2 teenage sons will be travelling to Maine for our first time in early August, and looking for a secluded spot on the coast for 3 days mid week. Ideally I would like a cottage or kitchenette for < $300/night at a resort. We are interested in sea kayaking and other activities that will keep us all entertained. We have been looking at Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and Boothbay. I think Boothbay has what we are looking for.

Any ideas would be most appreciated

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Gate Inn

We stayed there in a cottage but before the renovations. It was clean and spacious with dated furniture etc. Maine accomodations tend to be on the sparse side, the "season" is only two months long and most places cannot continually renovate and update. I guess what I'm saying is, don't expect what you may have come to expect from $300-per-night accomodations in other tourist areas. Maine is all about the outdoors, the sleeping and lounging is a second thought here. A roof over your head is what many places provide, not much more, especially the "camp" or "cottage" type accomodations.

That said, the grounds here were vast with a nice big pool, badminton courts, free kayaks for use (at least back then). Restaurants were about 7 minutes drive from here, it's definitely on the "secluded" side.

Camden would be another area to consider, a bit more to do around here but also more "touristy". From Camden you can do easy day trips to Belfast, Lake St. George, or even up to Acadia National Park. look at Beloins.com Not a resort, but definitely not like anything you'll find in Chicago!

Chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Gate Inn

thank you for the information. We are looking for a clean well kept cottage with fun activities for our teen boys. We do not need a rival to the Ritz.

Any thoughts on the Lawrensemere Inn in Boothbay Harbor?

thank you again for your input.

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Gate Inn

Haven't been to the Lawnmere but we've driven past it, seems a quiet and secluded place, almost looks like a large B&B, didn't look like an "activities" type of place.

Take a look at Glenmoor by the Sea near Camden. For Boothbay, I really can't think of any place other than the ocean Gate that rents cottages for less than a week in August.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Gate Inn

Hi trip treasure,

I can't say I know anything about the Ocean Gate Inn. But I can tell you there are plenty of other nice, secluded or semi-secluded places to stay in the region.

Check out www.boothbayharbor.com which is the Chamber of Commerce's site which includes a great visitor's section. Click on that and then accomodations. A long list will come up w/links to websites. Also on the site will be links to restaurants, tours, and a calendar of events.

I would suggest looking into the Ocean Pt. Inn, the Spruce Pt. Inn and the Newagen Inn. All 3 places are low key resorts in beautiful settings, have good reputations and restaurants, tennis courts, boat rentals and sit at the southern tips of peninsula's w/great areas for walking and watching the sunset. I don't think you'd be unhappy staying at any of them. But make reservations asap for August as they are popular and fill up fast.

Meanwhile, there's TONS to do in BBH for adults and kids. If you like hiking there are the Boothbay Region Land Trust trails of which most lead to gorgeous views of quiet coves, the ocean or beaches. There's also the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens which also offer nice trails along with gardens, sculptures and a revolving art show at their new visitor's center.

Then there's bowling, the movies, mini-golf, every kind of boat trip/tour you could think of, fishing off the footbridge or the Townsend Gut bridge, kayaking, hanging out at the small rocky/sandy beaches at Ocean Pt or Hendricks Headlight Beaches, or just spending time in town shopping or chowing down on fresh lobster (I like the Lobster Dock or Robinson's Wharf) or the best ice cream at the Downeast Ice Cream Factory.

In the evenings the Opera House often offers live entertainment with anything from stand-up comedy, to drama to live music. Or if you dine a bit late at McSeagulls, they have live rock bands starting around 9pm. There are also old fashion band concerts on the library lawn every Thursday evening where everyone brings a lawnchair and something cool to drink to enjoy the music.

From BBH its easy to take daytrips to Pemaquid Lighthouse (though you can see 4 lighthouses and actually go inside and tour Burnt Island Light), Reid State Park and Popham beaches (40 minutes away), Freeport (home of LL Beans and a zillion designer outlets and about 45 minutes away), etc.

Google or look at the Chamber's website to check out any of the suggestions and I'm sure you'll find accomodations that are just right for you as well as learn more about the BBH area and why its a great family location to vacation.

Just as aside, BBH is home to literally 100s of summer cottage rentals which you might want to check out if you could stay at least a week. Check out www.cottageconneciton.com.

Good luck :).

cozyharbor

USA
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Gate Inn

Two other possibilities:

Spruce Point Inn has cottages and activities but rates are high in August. Perhaps look at their larger suites in the $260 to $300 range plus lodging tax and hotel charge. No kitchenette but there is a separate living area in some suites and plenty of room. Less homemaking to do. This inn has kayaks and its an easy paddle over to Burnt Island.

Newagen Inn on the tip of Southport Island is secluded and it takes what seems like a while to drive to things because it is really at the tip of nowhere, if this is what you are looking for. Not sure if they have kayaks.

6. Re: Ocean Gate Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor