We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southport Island Hiking

United States
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Southport Island Hiking

I am renting a cottage for a week this summer on Cozy Harbor on Southport Island. Can anyone suggest some good hikes in the area? I know there are some walking trails, but I'm looking for something that might be 5 or so miles long. Also, does anyone know where on Southport Island Rachel Carson's former summer cottage is located? I read she had a summer cottage there from 1952-1964.

Oceanside, New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southport Island Hiking

Hi Aramop!

Great choice for a week! I can't speak to Rachel Carson's summer cottage but I can help a little with the hiking. Boothbay Land Trust has several hiking trails in the area. You can pick up a pamphlet in town with directions and descriptions on all of the trails. Be sure to wear a lot of bug spray. We've hiked 2 or 3 of them and had a lot of fun. Beautiful views. Good luck!

Lisa

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southport Island Hiking

Be careful walking on the rocks along the shore. They can be slippery and sharp (I cut my leg & got quite an infection from the bacteria on the rock). It is a beautiful place, though. We're going back this summer too!

United States
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southport Island Hiking

Thanks for the feedback teacher2 and jenhec. I did check out the Land Trust and found some interesting looking hikes. I am also looking into Monhegan Island -- have either of you been hiking there? We would just do a day trip and try to find the most scenic area to hike in, probably along the cliffs. I'm wondering if it's quite as treacherous along those trails as they make it out to be.

Mentioned in this post
Monhegan Island
Monhegan Island
280 Reviews
Monhegan Island, ME
Oceanside, New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southport Island Hiking

We went to Monhegan Island on our last trip. Great trip! It was so beautiful! There were artists all over. We went hiking along a very muddy path and ended up near the cliffs. There was a very old woman painting below us she earned my respect. Her equally old husband came up to help her pack her materials to go back to their cottage.

Pack a lunch and bring a book for the boat. Let me warn you about some of the local island teenagers. They like to see how many tourists they can freak out while waiting for the return boat by riding a bike off the dock into the water. Then before the boat left one dove into the water. It's a way to pass the time.

Another must is a drive around East Boothbay. Eventually it becomes a skinny road, rocks, and ocean. Nice sunset place at low tide with a bottle of wine.

Book a sunset cruise on the East Wind - it's in the middle of BB Harbor by the Fisherman's Wharf. Grab a bottle of wine (do you sense a pattern here?)and some unbreakable wine glasses and you're good to go!

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Monhegan Island
Monhegan Island
280 Reviews
Monhegan Island, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southport Island Hiking

Hi aramop,

You'll love Cozy Harbor. In fact there are nice walks to be had right in that area on Beach Road, around the loop and through Pratt's Island Road. A very picturesque area :).

There's also some nice walking around the Cape Newagen area and Inn.

The best thing to do is as another poster suggested, is to either contact the Boothbay Region Land Trust or check out their website www.bbrlt.org and you can download and print many of their trail maps. They have many properties (and are acquiring new ones on a regular basis). A couple not to be missed if you can get to them, are Damarascove Island and Indiantown Island. I've been to Damariscove many times and the views from the top are 360 degrees and are breathtaking.

My favorite Land Trust trail that is easily accessable however, is the Porter Preserve. There are gorgeous water views all along the shore with benches to sit and rest at, or have lunch or just to drink in the beauty. Around every corner is a view of the Sheepscot River, a quiet cove, a sandy/rocky beach or a tranquil scene.

Also look into the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Their property offers many trails through gardens, natural fauna, outdoor sculptures and even a meditation pond. In addition they have a lovely new visitor's center w/a great little cafe overlooking an herb and vegetable garden (which hopefully be finished by this summer as they began work on it last year).

Other areas to walk are along Ocean Pt (not to be missed), King Phillips Trail in East Boothbay (on the way to Ocean Pt)which loops around and offers views of woods and then beach and open ocean and Inner Heron Island.

You mentioned Monhegan Island. Definitely take a daytrip there. You'll find it enchanting, especially the Cathedral Forest, White Head and along the bluffs. They'll give you a map of the island and all it's trails once aboard.

All of the trails I mentioned run from flat and easy to moderate w/some hills and steep areas but nothing extremely strenuous or like mountain climbing. In other words very doable for the average person in reasonably good shape.

If you want tougher trails and longer distances, you might want to take a ride up to Camden Hills State Park (about an hour's drive north on route 1). They'll be challenging, longer in length and much steeper and more like mountain climbing. I've hiked to the top of Mt. Megunticook and Mt. Battie and the views are spectacular!

Overall you won't lack for great walking and hiking in the Boothbay Region and will see alot of beautiful areas along the way. Have a great trip and don't forget to post back and let us know how things went :).

cozyharbor

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Region Land Trust
Boothbay Region Land...
130 Reviews
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
Coastal Maine Botanical...
1,470 Reviews
Boothbay, ME
Monhegan Island
Monhegan Island
280 Reviews
Monhegan Island, ME
Camden Hills State Park
Camden Hills State Park
619 Reviews
Camden, ME
United States
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southport Island Hiking

Thanks for all of the great advice! My trip is coming up in a few days now and I have done some additional research and looked at the land trust website. We plan on doing some of those walks, including the Oven's Mouth and Porter Preserve. We will probably also take a day trip to Monhegan Island. I love the sunset cruise idea, as well.

I actually did Mt. Megunticut and Mt. Battie last summer during a visit to Camden and have enjoyed the walk along Ocean Point during a trip to East Boothbay a few years ago. As you can see, we like the Maine Coast!

If you are an avid hiker, I would also very highly recommend the Bold Coast Trail in Cutler (Down East). It is the most spectacular hike we've ever done -- even more scenic than what we've seen at Acadia. It's a long drive up, but well worth it.

Anyway, one last question: recommended restaurants??

My husband loves seafood and I don't eat it at all. However, we often have trouble finding moderately priced places that offer "landfood" that isn't along the lines of burgers, fried chicken and onion rings. Not that I don't love those, but I'd like some lighter fare as well. We'll probably visit at least one "nicer" place, but then look for some moderately priced places for the most part.

I have still had no luck locating Rachel Carson's house!

Thanks again for all of the great advice - I can't wait to head up to Maine!

Mentioned in this post
Monhegan Island
Monhegan Island
280 Reviews
Monhegan Island, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
The Bold Coast
The Bold Coast
65 Reviews
Machias, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Oceanside, New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southport Island Hiking

I'm excited and envious of your upcoming trip. I'll go again next year. Restaurants - there are tons!! Of course, there is the other than seafood issue. I don't think it will be as big of a problem as you think. We've always loved Andrew's Harborside right at the footbridge intown. They have varied menu. Most of the restaurants have their menus posted outside, maybe some have websites now so you can always check them out.

Enjoy!

Lisa

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southport Island Hiking

Can't give you specifics on Rachel Carson's former summer cottage but once you arrive go to the Southport Historical Society and I am sure they will be able to help. While you are there take a look at a ruby slipper from the Wizard of Oz, as Margaret Hamilton was a former summer resident of the island too!

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southport Island Hiking

Hi aramop,

Restaurants, reasonable prices w/stuff besides burgers and onion rings...

The Blue Moon Cafe on Commercial Street in the heart of BBH is tiny but sits on the water and has outdoor dining also. They offer breakfast and lunch which range from omelets to wraps, to different kinds of homemade soups, to salads to Mexican. Very good food and reasonable prices. Unfortunately (unless they've changed this year) they don't offer dinner.

Another great spot is the Ebb Tide. Its also a tiny place with maybe a dozen tables if that. But they are very reasonably priced and offer good, basic downhome cooking. You can get a turkey dinner, a burger, chowder, broiled scallops and/or haddock and the best desserts (homemade pies, cookies, cakes). However if you like to enjoy an adult beverage w/your meal it might not appeal to you. I've never thought of this, but maybe you can bring your own there. Not sure of the policies...

The Townsend Wine and Coffee Bar is a casual place inside an antique home. There are sofas, comfy chairs, a revolving art show, free internet, etc. They offer a light menu to go with the wine and coffee such as a cheese, crackers and fruit plate; humus sandwiches w/turkey; wraps; salads and soups.

The Thistle Inn offers a pub menu where the prices are reasonable. Burgers, pizza, quesadillas, crab cakes, etc are offered.

The Lobster Dock on Atlantic Ave offers a pretty good range of food, most of it affordable. Same for Robinson's Wharf on Southport Island, just over the Townsend Gut bridge.

Another idea is that you can go to the more expensive places and order appetizers which often are pretty substantial, but of course cost alot less than something from the main menu. McSeagull's has a substantial menu, one of the largest I've seen anywhere and I'm sure you could find either a reasonably priced entre or a filling appetiser at a lesser cost. It sits on the water, you can dine in or out, is a great people watching location and offers live music in the evenings.

I like the Rocktide, Lobsterman's Wharf in East Boothbay, Ocean Pt Inn, the Thistle for consistently good food, and nice/fun atmosphere. At the Thistle, be sure to ask for a table outside if the weather's nice, you won't regret it. It has one of the nicest outdoor seating I've ever enjoyed.

93 Townsend has a great caesar salad where you can add chicken, salmon or just about anything to make it a filling meal. It has a nice atmosphere and there's parking in the back. However, the consistency of the food is not always there, but I've never gone wrong wtih their caesar salad or the pork chops.

Think that's about it. If any other place comes to mind, I'll post again.

Have a great vacation!

cozyharbor

Mentioned in this post
Blue Moon Cafe
Blue Moon Cafe
472 Reviews
Boothbay Harbor, ME
The Thistle Inn
The Thistle Inn
133 Reviews
Boothbay Harbor, ME
The Lobster Dock
The Lobster Dock
1,190 Reviews
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Robinson's Wharf
Robinson's Wharf
489 Reviews
Southport, ME
McSeagull's
McSeagull's
1,243 Reviews
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alton Bay, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southport Island Hiking

Be sure to look into this Rachel Carson thing because it is a very interesting story!!! I do not remember the story because it has been a few years since I have visited my friend out there but I believe her house was/is on the Sheepscot River west side maybe.

Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor