We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Fees? Please help...

Which Boothbay Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington...
Level Contributor
782 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Resort Fees? Please help...

We're staying at the Spruce Point Inn in October for a wedding...I booked the room and just got the confirmation.....7% tax, fine...and a RESORT fee of 10%!

I've stayed everywhere in Maine and have never seen that before...In all my years, I've never seen that anywhere.

Is that legal?

TIA,

Nancy

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

It appears you feel you were mislead with the resort fee,however it is listed right on the resorts website under the rates.You are also attending a wedding on one of the busiest weekends for leaf peeping in Maine and they allowing a one night reservation on a holiday weekend.I do not have any affiliation with this resort but I have stayed in many resorts and have been charged resort fees. This is a common practice.If you are getting a discounted rate as part of a wedding package try to enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time at a lovely resort.

Burlington...
Level Contributor
782 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

Are you serious?????? Would you pay that for ONE night??? I already have rates at resorts that are way better, and much cheaper....

I was midlead................I called the number and assumed that was it....

Sorry, I went to Nassau at an all inclusive...i mean, drinks, food, watersports, no tipping and I paid 299 at night with no tipping.....I went to Aruba, the price was more, but still, the same.

I am getting ZIP for sleeping in a bed.

She even told me I couldn't check in early.

Check in is at 3...............the wedding is a 3...

we have a three hour drive...................

What don't you get...

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

So I was curious and looked on the web site. Yes, it lists the additional 10-15% resort fee. However, you made a phone reservation, so they should have told you that when booking. I have never had a hotel/resort refuse to tell the complete charge over the phone. It's unfortunate that the resort just doesn't realize your dissatisfaction and cancel the reservation. To charge a cancellation fee this far in advance of the stay seems to be overkill. (And, yes I realize it's a busy fall weekend, but it's still months away and they should have no problem filling the room. I stay often at the Samoset and their cancellation policy is within days of cancellation, not months.) I'm sure you'll find another great place to stay. Have fun at the wedding!

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

Hmmm. This whole thread has me curious enough to call the hotel tomorrow to find out about the $25 cancellation fee and the circumstances under which they would charge this fee. Like others here, I find it unusual to charge a fee this far out from the date -- particularly if the guest politely explained the circumstances of the misunderstanding. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

Sorry to hear about your wedding woes. The fee should have been disclosed but it wasn't and that is unfortunate. They made a mistake and they aren't yielding to your demands. If you are that uncomfortable, you should move on. Why would you stay there after all of this *and* since you have promised to slam them on TA? It is supposed to be a joyful event.

I must also respond to the various statements that have been presented here: many inns have two night minimums, especially on busy holiday weekends like Columbus Day when you may encounter a three night requirement. Some one-night stays are non-refundable. Cancellation fees are common and it is more than re-renting the room. (Try returning those Sox or Pats tickets.) Some guests reserve rooms for the same night at multiple properties and cancel within the cancellation period. Each reservation needs to be processed and confirmed and the same with cancellations. Innkeepers pay the credit card fees when they process the reservation and these are not returned when there is a cancellation. All of these add up in terms of time and money. There are no guarantees that a room can be rebooked, regardless of date of reservation or cancellation - most of us will look elsewhere if our first choice is not available. Early check-ins can be difficult to accommodate - on a good day, it can work but if unanticipated repair/staffing/maintenance issues kick in, there can be a problem. Some properties offer them, some with a fee and some not at all. Some will suggest that if you need an early check-in, you should reserve the night before as well.

IMHO, you really should either get over this and have a great time or move on to other accommodations. It is a wedding and it is supposed to be a celebration for the bride and groom. On-line grousing may be cathartic but now the world knows that you are unhappy with the venue that your best friends' new in-laws chose for their happy event. Ouch.

I hope that this helps and that you are able to find something that meets your needs. Good luck and enjoy the wedding.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

Sox-Pats-Fan,

Sorry to hear you've had problems with the Spruce Pt. Inn. I'm sure it was a misunderstanding or lack of communication.

I live in BBH and know the Spruce Pt. Inn like the back of my hand. Its a lovely resort at the southern tip of a peninsula with spectacular views out to sea and a couple of lighthouses. The grounds are beautiful and you feel like you're a million miles away from the ratrace, yet its only a 5 minute drive to town. It also has just about every amenity you could ask for and is a very popular place that books early, so I'm surprised they'd charge a cancellation fee.

The above being said, if you're looking for basic accomodations and don't care about location, views or amenities, then there are many other places you could look into. However, it would be a good idea to book early as Columbus Day Weekend is big here.

You might want to check out some of the B&B's as well motels on the 'east side' of the harbor. Look for addresses on Atlantic Ave. Then you'll only be a brief 3 minute drive from the Spruce Pt. Inn. There's the Bay St. Inn, The Rocktide, Browns Wharf, Captain Fish and the Boothbay Harbor Inn. For one night I don't think you'd go wrong with any of these places.

Good luck.

cozyharbor

Burlington...
Level Contributor
782 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

Thank you SO much Cozy Harbor....I can imagne how beautiful the Spruce point is...But, being there to sleep, I doubt, we'd ever see that beauty...I will so look into other options...I really appreciate your KIND input.............

Thank you so much...

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

I just wanted to throw out there (not that it helps you, sorry) that SPI was pretty clear about the resort fee in our contract for the wedding and the room blocks.

Because of your post, I've made sure to include the details of the fees (incl cancellation) on our wedding website so hopefully our guests will feel informed...thank you for that!

We're getting married there in August and have not been able to get around the 3 night minimum at SPI. I'm almost positive we won't be filling our room block because 3 nights at ~$300 + 7% ME tax + 10% resort fee is astronomical.

But, at the minimum, the wedding and reception should be spectacular...I hope that you can at least enjoy that part!

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

I went back to my contract and wanted to add these details:

In addition to the rates there is a 7% Maine Lodging Tax and a 10% Hotel Service Charge on all guest rooms and a 15% Hotel Service charge on all cottages and condominiums.

Cancellation may be made by individuals up to 15 days prior to the event, upon which a refund will be made in full less a processing fee of $25.00. Within 14 days prior to the event the entire deposit is non- refundable.

Of course, this is specifically for a room block for an event...not sure if the policy changes at all under other circumstances.

HTH

Burlington...
Level Contributor
782 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Resort Fees? Please help...

Thanks! And, I think that was great that you informed your guests...I know your wedding will be beautiful as our friends son will be too.

We could of got a 128 dollar rate, but, had to stay three nights! We could of got a 136 rate but had to stay two nights.....The one night rate was like 188 and 212 dollars....then add the tax and fee.

Are you getting married in front of the gazebo?

You'll have a wonderful wedding and reception. And, again, you did inform your guests of the rates..and if they don't want to stay there, they have other options!

I wish you a Happy Marriage!

Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor