We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seven Days for Coastal Maine

Which Boothbay Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Simons Island...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seven Days for Coastal Maine

Hello All!

My wife and I are excited about our voyage to Coastal Maine for 7 days in early June. Our flight will touch down in Boston, where we'll rent a car and head north. Our base of operations will be the Rocktide in Boothbay Harbor. We'd certainly appreciate any advice you could offer regarding good day trips from Boothbay (we'll do plenty there too!), good places to eat, and perhaps a suggestion or two for "nights out on the town". In summation, what are the "must see" and "must do's" for Boothbay and the coastal area. Thanks from a couple of coastal folks from St Simons Island Georgia.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seven Days for Coastal Maine

The Best lobster roll and best crab roll I have ever had came from a small shack on rt.1a called Reds.It is in a cute little town called Wiscasset.I think you might want to devote some of your week to the Bar Harbor area as the town and Acadia National Park have a weeks worth of hikes,sights, and great eats.Portland,Freeport,Kennebunkport,and Ogunguit are also scenic and are southern destinations.After picking up the car in Boston you might want to stop for a bit in Perkin's cove in Ogunguit and then walk on the Marginal way to get your first tast of the Maine coast.Maine also has a great local icecream place called Shain's of Maine...all homemade,peppermint icecream to crave all year long.Enjoy your trip.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seven Days for Coastal Maine

Hi there, I disagree with trying to see the entire coast of Maine from Ogunquit to Bar Harbor in 1 week as another poster suggested.

Also the "Best" lobster roll will not be found at Red's Eats. What you will find is usually a very long line with NO locals in it (hint). You will already be staying in a town noted for "The Best" lobster roll, just read through the reviews right here. It's closer that you think. As is one of the best view's of sunsets and harbor activities and plenty to fill your week without spending it driving in your car.

Boothbay Harbor has much to offer as you will find by clicking through the reviews right here on TripAdvisor. You must not miss the Brand New Coastal Botanical Garden which just opened in 2007.

Many people you will find that visit Bar Harbor during their stay in Boothbay Harbor, wish they had not spent the 3 hr drive up and 3 hr drive back but instead used that time to explore more of the surrounding nearby areas to the Boothbay region.

For example, Southport Island with Dogfish Head, Cozy Harbor and the Aquarium. Barters Island with their land preserves. Ocean Point and Grimes Cove, River Road to Damariscotta and Pemaquid Point and it's Fort to the North. Heading South, you will find Bath and Georgetown with Reid State Park and Pompom Beach.

Use a morning or afternoon to explore the ocean via Sail or Power boat rides available right downtown. Most are only 2 - 2 1/2 hrs long. Or, take the Novelty right out the back door from your hotel for a harbor sampler. It takes about 1 hour and gives you beautiful sights while transporting Squirrel Island residents.

You should contact the Boothbay Region Chamber of Commerce and request a 2008 guide to begin planning your activities during your stay. Open year round at 207-633-2353 or www.boothbayharbor.com

By the way, I would love to explore more of your area myself, I only had the chance to stop by to find a good restaurant and a nice place to sleep on our way to Florida last year. (Barbara Jean’s was the only place open as we arrived close to 9pm. Their "famous crab cakes can't touch our Boothbay Harbor Maine Famous ones.)

We used to stop at a place on Tybee Island that looks like it has since been turned into condos. Back in 1982 I stopped there and after an hour wait we were treated to the best crabs I ever had. They placed newspaper on the tables and just dumped the crabs onto the table and you pounded your way to heaven with your wooden mallet. A couple years ago we found Williams Seafood, read that had burned down.

Can't wait to visit your neck of the woods again soon.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seven Days for Coastal Maine

A couple of additions to the previous post: The beach near Bath is Popham Beach, not pompom (creates a funny picture in my mind!). Pemaquid Point not only has a fort, but a popular lighthouse. Please be careful on the rocks - the waves are stronger and higher than you might think.

Even if you don't visit Red's, Wiscasset is a great town to poke around in, especially if you like antiques.

I agree that Boothbay Harbor, the sites listed in the previous post and nearby towns offer plenty of variety for a 7 day stay. To me, Bar Harbor/Acadia would be a separate trip. You should definitely get out on the water while you're in Boothbay.

Another fun day trip would be the Camden/Rockland area - shops, museums, scenery, etc. Also, Camden Hills State Park offers a great view off the top of Mt. Battie.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seven Days for Coastal Maine

First, I agree that Bar Harbor/Acadia/Mount Desert Island is (or should be) a separate trip.

The Balmy Days III sails from Boothbay Harbor to Monhegan Island every day. In addition to being able to see Monhegan, if conditions allow, the Balmy Days does a quick sail around the island.

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Seven Days for Coastal Maine

Speaking as a local, I can attest that it is absolutely untrue to say that locals do not eat at Red's. As I have said in a previous post, we eat there several times a season. In addition to tourists from all over the world, we also see many other locals.

I think it's a waste of time to argue over what is the "best" lobster roll. I will just say that Red's is excellent and worth some wait if you are in the area. If the line goes around the corner and past the ice cream window, that's a sign that the wait could be 30-45 minutes. Not surprisingly, lines tend to be longest for lunch and on weekends. Red's is often open quite late, so if it's convenient for you to give it a try on a weeknight and after say, 7pm, you will be less likely to have to wait long.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seven Days for Coastal Maine

I agree there is a lot to see and do in the Boothbay area.

However, if you are not obligated to stay the entire time in Boothbay, I say you must also visit Acadia. I can't imagine going to Maine and missing the very best part (Acadia), so I'd suggest splitting your time between Boothbay and Acadia with four nights in Acadia and three in Boothbay. And, I'd allow a full day for driving from Boothbay to Acadia so you can spend time in towns along the way, most notably Camden which is a gem.

If you do stay all seven days in Boothbay, then definitely go out to Monhegan for the dramatic cliffs. Stay overnight on Monhegan if you can swing it.

With only seven days to visit, I would blow off Southern Maine. You have longer beaches with whiter sand in Georgia. What you don't have is the rugged rocky coast and that's what you should concentrate on in your short visit.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seven Days for Coastal Maine

Sorry CB48, your right about Popham, my spell checker “fixed” the spelling for me.

I didn't want to sound like the town crier for Boothbay - each of us is passionate about our favorite spots.

I agree Bar Harbor should be a separate trip and it would be a good idea to spend a day doing the travel to allow for exploring.

Camden is a favorite side trip for us too and is only about an hour away. Another great side trip I would combine with Bath and either of the State parks would be Bailey's Island. The crib stone bridge is icing on the cake of a great drive down RT 24. Cook's Lobster near the bridge has nice views but if you wonder across the harbor to Harpswell, The Dolphin Marina & Restaurant has great chowder, stew and food in a more quaint setting.

8. Re: Seven Days for Coastal Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, September 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor