We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth a quick trip to see?

Which Bethel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Worth a quick trip to see?

We are spending the night in North Conway, NH. We have to be in Boston the next day. But I was thinking of taking a short trip to Bethel. Is it a quaint town worth a side trip? Are the leaves at peak there or past? Thanks for letting us know.

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth a quick trip to see?

From north Conway I would go down to Alton Bay, New Hampshire, then on to Boston.

Take a hike up Mt. Major if you have time, breathtaking views!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth a quick trip to see?

I own a ski house on a lake just ten minutes outside Bethel, and thus I suppose should be encouraging you to come. But since you just have the one day, I am going to say don't bother. Bethel is (sorta) quaint and such, but given your short time frame there are better uses of your time. I would instead suggest you take a road-trip down the Kancamangus Highway; if you want to take in scenery it's absolutely unforgettable.

My husband was in Gorham, New Hampshire (the northern area of the White Mountains; not terribly far as the crow-flies from North Conway) last weekend and says the foliage was "perfect". Which would mean by this weekend it's gone by just a bit.

Foliage has been LATE this year, as we had a very late spring and until a couple days ago have enjoyed summer weather. You don't say when you will be here, so it's hard to answer your question.

Here on the coast we have next to nothing, colour-wise. Added to that, we are supposed to get a MAJOR storm this Friday (10/12). These October gales have a way of knocking every leaf off every tree....but not inland where you will be.

I just re-read what I am about to send off to you, and feel I am being negative. I certainly don't mean to be----I LOVE Maine! But in all honesty, for just one day, I think you can do better than Bethel.

Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth a quick trip to see?

Thanks for your reply. I was hesitant about Bethel for a "quick trip" north before heading south. And I will approach North Conway on the 302, so returning accross 112 sounds perfect. I love Maine, too and have been there many times before, so I won't feel cheated to miss it this time.

4. Re: Worth a quick trip to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, September 11, 2009