We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine and Canada

São Paulo, São...
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Maine and Canada

I’ve been to Maine last December and now I want to go back on September to enjoy the summer. But I also want to go to Canada and that’s where the problem begins. I really don’t want to rent a car so buses and airplanes are my options. I tried to put together an itinerary but I’m having a hard time to come up with the proper transportation.

I would like to go to Bangor and then take a bus to the Acadia Park region. As far as I am concerned, Bangor airport is a bit restricted and flights from Eastern Canada are either limited or nonexistent.

I am not sure exactly where to go to Canada, but I believe it will be easier to match Maine with the eastern cities, like Quebec, Toronto, Helifax and so on.

What would you guys recommend? I am flexible with destinations. All I want is going to Canada and, since I’ll be there, see my beloved Maine.

My biggest concern is the proper transportation. Any bus/airport recommendation will be nice.

Thanks!!

21 replies to this topic
Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Maine and Canada

I just checked Alamo, Hertz, and National and online all 3 let me select picking up cars in Portland and dropping them off in Montreal (chosen at random w/ various dates). It was just very expensive. Maybe with the low rates I've had, crossing the border wasn't allowed, but in thinking about it, it didn't seem possible that it couldn't be done.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Maine and Canada

And those high rates could be negotiable if you find a kind-hearted agent as we did that night in Montreal when our flight was turned back from LaGuardia and we just could not face yet another flight the next morning after having flown Vancouver -- Montreal -- LaGuardia -- Montreal.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
231 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Maine and Canada

My husband just recently rented a car to drive from Bangor to Canada and back again. The rental company said that would be fine. He looked at buses, trains and air to Canada but there isn't much public transportation from Maine.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Maine and Canada

I think generally going from the US to Canada or back isn't the issue.

But good luck booking a rental car here in Atlantic Canada to try and drive across the border.

If anything has changed since the last time I looked into it, love to know!

Muswellbrook...
Level Contributor
4 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Maine and Canada

Thanks everyone for your help... It is a real nuisance that the US and Canada cant sign off on some international agreement. We ended up flying from Halifax NS to Boston MA.. only one airline...Air Canada... guess how the flight was 7/8ths of our airfare from Sydney Aus to NYC!! Then we hired another car from Boston to Newark NJ... any way we had a great time round Cape Cod, Hyannis is brilliant as was Woods Hole and Sissywippet, then searching down covered bridges in kent and East Cornwall, Connecticut... Finally met up with some old (Aus) friends and headed up to the Adirondacks at Goodnow Flowage... died and went to heaven country...

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,201 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Maine and Canada

Virtually all American rental car companies allow their vehicles to be driven into Canada (and then returned back at the original rental location) without any additional charges. You should, of course, confirm this with the rental company you want to use.

In general, renting in one city and then returning in another is expensive, even within the United States.

Atlantic City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Maine and Canada

oi...hi I have the same problem, not much you can do about it. the best solution is... rent a car, is your best option

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Maine and Canada

I have rented a car in Boston and drove it into Canada with no issues. In fact, the paperwork I got said "travel into Canada allowed". It was Enterprise. I assume any car rented in Bangor could apply.

Muswellbrook...
Level Contributor
4 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Maine and Canada

G'Day from our experience in Oct last year here is no way to cross the border other than flying. It is not possible to hire a car because you cant hire it in Canada and drop it off in the US. All part of George W homeland security I am afraid.... twits... so we had to fly from Halifax to Boston which cost almost as much as it did to fly from Australia to New York

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Maine and Canada

I rented a car in Montreal and dropped it off in Bangor. That was about four years ago. The border crossing at Coburn Gore, Maine was interesting. "Yes, we live in Bar Harbor. Yes, we rented the car in Montreal." But when we got done explaining about the plane that circled NYC the night before and went back to Montreal and how tired we were of flying, having left Vancouver the morning before, we got a lot of sympathy and were waved through the crossing.

Reply to: Maine and Canada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted