We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MDI Columbus Day - hotels/car rental near BGR airport

Brooklyn, New York
8 posts
MDI Columbus Day - hotels/car rental near BGR airport

Dear all,

I bought a cheap flight into Bangor over Columbus Day weekend. Unfortunately we arrive quite late (10:30pm) and leave quite early (7am) a few days later.

I'm planning to drive straight to MDI the first night and am debating whether to stay there until the last night before the 7am flight. Google estimates a 1h15 drive to/from Southwest Harbor.

I'd much prefer to stay in MDI of course but am leaning towards getting a hotel near the airport, in which case:

• What are the closest car rentals to the terminal. Assuming it'll be between 5-6am when I'm returning it so well before any kind of shuttle. Are there any that are within walking distance?

• Alternatively, I could return the car the night before and stay at a nearby hotel that would get us to the airport early, but I'd still need to get from the car rental drop-off to the hotel and ensure the hotel would provide early shuttle service.

Any thoughts or advice on hotels and car rental agencies very near the airport? (I'm half-way tempted to buy a later one-way flight back to avoid the hassle after what I'm hoping to be a relaxing weekend.)

Thanks in advance!

2 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
8 posts
1. Re: MDI Columbus Day - hotels/car rental near BGR airport

Oh and I did notice the Sheraton Four Points, which appears to be across the street from the terminal, but I was hoping to find something cheaper.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,591 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: MDI Columbus Day - hotels/car rental near BGR airport

The Sheraton Four Points is directly connected to the airport terminal by a short skybridge. It's certainly the most convenient option. The car rental return is right there as well.

Reply to: MDI Columbus Day - hotels/car rental near BGR airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted