We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October in New England

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
579 posts
18 reviews
17 helpful votes
October in New England

Planing on going first week in october to maine, never been any place nice at that time of year, hotels restaurants ect. thank you

3 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
9 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: October in New England

You posted this in the Bangor forum. Is that where you would like to visit? It's not really one of the nicer spots in Maine. Most people like to visit the coast. Bar Harbor, near Acadia National Park, is a frequent destination. But it depends on what you like to do. Did you want to just stay in one spot for the week or travel around? Do you like outdoor activities like hiking, biking, and kayaking? Or would you rather do scenic drives and photography? Are you looking for luxury, waterfront accommodation or are you on a budget? If you tell us more about what you are looking for, we will be able to help you more easily.

Augusta, ME
Level Contributor
54 posts
65 reviews
113 helpful votes
2. Re: October in New England

Rangeley is my favorite place in Maine to visit in early October. I live in Central Maine, and we always make a leap peeping trip to Rangeley over the Columbus Day weekend, and throw in a little bird hunting as well. Always rent a cabin at Town and Lake Motel and Cottages. Eat at the Red Onion. Usually the leaves are peaking up there then, and it is spectacular.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
43 posts
3. Re: October in New England

I also plan to go to Maine for the first time this October. I want to be in Boston the 27th & 28th, and am thinking of Maine before that. How about Portland a night or 2 (Casco Bay ferries?) and maybe the Concord bus that goes up Rte 1 to Rockland et al.? Or maybe just stop at Brunswick and Bath and do one of the ferries from the Museum in Bath? I will be coming up from Charlottesville VA on Amtrak. Any suggestions welcome!!

Reply to: October in New England
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted