We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great cajun food between Houston and Lake Charles?

College Station...
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Great cajun food between Houston and Lake Charles?

My husband and I will be driving to Baton Rouge tomorrow afternoon and I am wondering where we can find great authentic cajun food for dinner between Houston and Lake Charles. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Lake Charles
Lake Charles
Louisiana
Steamboat Bill's
$$ - $$$, Seafood, American, Cajun & Creole
Seafood Palace
$$ - $$$, American, Seafood, Cajun & Creole
Steamboat Bill's
$$ - $$$, American, Seafood, Cajun & Creole
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great cajun food between Houston and Lake Charles?

Steamboat Bills in Lake Charles for Cajun seafood. It's on the North side of I-10, across from the Lake, just after you cross the I-10 bridge. Take the Lakeshore Drive (downtown) exit and go under the Interstate to get to the other side. Wonderful fried catfish, great crawfish dishes, and outstanding boiled shrimp.

If you're still hungry by the time you get to Lafayette, take I-49 north for a couple of miles. Prejean's restaurant will be on your right. True Cajun food in a nice setting. I take locals there for lunch, quite often.

At the Breaux Bridge exit, go to your right until you get to the first bridge across the bayou. Turn right and cross the bayou and you'll see Bayou Cabins (Also known as Bayou Boudin and Cracklins). Their crackiins are among the best I've ever had. They're not drenched in seasoning just to make them hot. They taste like real pork. By the way, get a couple of bottles of water (or your favorite beverage). They'll make your throat very dry.

Mentioned in this post
Steamboat Bill's
Steamboat Bill's
1,285 Reviews
Lake Charles, LA
Lake Charles
Lake Charles
Louisiana
Lafayette
Lafayette
Lafayette Parish, LA
Prejean's
Prejean's
1,459 Reviews
Lafayette, LA
Napa, California
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great cajun food between Houston and Lake Charles?

Great tips, Rodin. You might also consider on your way back stopping at the Iowa/Hwy 165 exit, and heading south for 1 mile to Rabidaux's on your way back. They have boudin, cracklins, and tons of smoked meats, like sausage, bacon and tasso. I always get some andouille to mix in my duck & andouille gumbo. You can get some stuffed pork chops or even a ponce to cook later, if you have an ice chest. They also serve plate lunches, but they're not solely cajun food.

3. Re: Great cajun food between Houston and Lake Charles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 07, 2009