We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok to walk alone in the evening?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Ok to walk alone in the evening?

It's time to start making the "to do" list of places to eat, things to visit, the best places for music, etc as May 17th will be here before I know it (yeah)!

I'll be staying at the Blue Moon Guest House, located on E Convent St, and have reserved the balcony room with a private bath (there are some things I'd rather not share). By looking at the map of downtown Lafayette, it seems that I'll be spending most of my time in a loop made of Jefferson St, Johnston St, and Garfield. Is there any street or area in there that's not the best to walk around alone as a single gal, especially in the evening? Or is there a certain street that's better to use to walk back to the guesthouse? Txs!

Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok to walk alone in the evening?

Porelly........I hope you have a great trip. I'm not a Lafayette expert in regards to the safest areas to walk. One of the Lafayette experts will help you on that request. Here's a few great restaurants. NOLA's Cochon has a new location in Lafayette. Old Tyme has great po boys.

Cochon @ 921 Camellia Blvd., Lafayette, LA 337 – 993 – 9935.

Johnson's Boucaniere @ 1111 St. John Street, Lafayette, LA. 337 - 269 - 8878.

Old Tyme Grocery @ 218 West Saint Mary Blvd., Lafayette, LA 337 - 235 - 8165.

Prejean's Restaurant @ 3480 Interstate 49 Frontage Road, Lafayette, LA 337 - 896 - 3247.

Poor Boy's Riverside Inn @ 240 Tubing Road, Broussard, LA 337 - 837 - 4011.

Don't forget to visit Breaux Bridge. Get off I 10 at Exit 109 in Breaux Bridge and go S on Rees Street or Highway 328 and go to Le Cafe for outstanding Po Boys. Or get Off I 10 at Exit 109 and go N on Highway 328 which is Anse Broussard Highway also to Poche Bridge Road. Go N to Main Highway and Poche Market and Restaurant for good Cajun cuisine for lunch. This is a buffet so you might really like it if you are in a hurry. Cafe Des Amis has outstanding food and music on Wednesday nights. There's also Zydeco breakfasts on Saturday morning at 8:30.

Le Cafe @ 124 Rees St., Breaux Bridge, LA 337 - 332 - 2500.

Poche's Market and Restaurant @ 3015 Main Hwy., Breaux Bridge, LA. 337 - 332 - 2108.

Cafe De Amis @ 140 East Bridge Street, Breaux Bridge, LA 337 - 332 - 5273.

Get off I 10 at Exit 115 in Henderson, LA and go E on Highway 352 to Henderson Levee Road to Pat's Fisherman's Wharf for good cajun food. Go to Whiskey River Landing for good music and cold drinks. Robin's has good crawfish.

Pat's Fisherman's Wharf @ 1008 Henderson Levee Rd., Henderson, LA 337 - 228 - 7512.

Whiskey River Landing @ 1365 Henderson Levee Road, Breaux Bridge, LA 337 - 228 - 2277.

Robin's Restaurant @ 1409 Henderson Hwy., Henderson, LA 337 - 228 - 7594.

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok to walk alone in the evening?

Jefferson is pretty safe because it's frequented by people on foot at all hours. Going back to the Moon--I would go back on Convent because it's well lit and most direct. It is also fine to go down Jefferson to Johnston, then one short block over to Convent. That way you would have a traffic light to help you cross Johnston.

I think that Lafayette downtown is comparable to other American cities. If there are lots of people around, you are relatively safe. That area is different from New Orleans in that it is not a tightly patrolled area where tourism is at stake. I would walk there anytime there are people out. (I'm a woman in my fifties who looks nothing like a fitness instructor.)

Johnston may be a different matter. It's a big five-lane highway. There are sidewalks but it's not a big pedestrian route. I would avoid it late at night for that reason. Many locals, by the way, pronounce "Johnston" without a t sound.

These are just my own practices. I'm not down there frequently and not often on foot. Friday night after Downtown Alive is a great time to be out on foot; that I *do* know.

Lafayette, Louisiana
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok to walk alone in the evening?

Greg here with Johnson's Boucaniere. I would say try to travel along Jefferson Street for the most part it is safe. However, I would refrain from walking alone after 11:00 P.M. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. It gets a little bit out of control on thise nights. I live downtown and it's safe for the most part, but as always, stay on busier streets (Jefferson - Johnston) and be aware of your surroundings. If your a live music buff the Blue Moon saloon is the best venue around so you probaly won't need to go barhopping. There is a new place called the Feed and Seed on the other end of Jefferson that is becoming another little hot-bed for music, but i'd get a cab if I were you as cabs are cheap here in town. Good luck

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok to walk alone in the evening?

What Greg said! He's the real deal, so this is great advice.

And don't miss eating à la Boucanière. Friend them on facebook if you want to read daily what they are cooking. Pure torture, but in a good way.

5. Re: Ok to walk alone in the evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, February 24, 2013