We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BlueMoon Guest House

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
BlueMoon Guest House

I had pretty much decided to stay at this hotel because of having live music on site, and it looked like a neat,different place to stay. And the price was right too at 100$ a night for a balcony room.

I happened to find it on google maps streetview while looking for something else, and there doesn't appear to be much around it, very deserted and empty. Should I rethink this? Plus I wasn't planning on renting a car for the whole trip (will be in Lafayette for 3 days, only renting a car overnight for a day). Is the location just to far for restaurants, sightseeing, and what not?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

Porelly, it's actually a very good location if you don't mind walking 7-10 blocks to get to the heart of downtown on Jefferson street, where most of the clubs and restaurants are located. Get on Mapquest and ask for directions from 215 East Convent St. (Blue Moon) to 324 Jefferson St. (City Bar). You'll see that it's a relatively short walk to the center of the action.

Regarding Google maps streetview, remember that many of those maps are at least 2-3 years old. The house where we now live, which was built in 2008 doesn't even show as being there.

Enjoy your visit.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

7-10 blocks, eh? Humm, the lazy side of me says that seems far. :) I know I should probably just rent a car for the whole trip, but then if I drive, I can't have a couple of beverages, so I'd just end up taking a cab anyway.

But I do feel better. Txs Rod!!!

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

Rod is correct: the Blue Moon is very close to all the bars/action downtown. You might need a car for other parts of your trip, but I think most people park about as close as you will be at the Blue Moon....so to get a car for just downtown is defeating the purpose. I think you will feel pretty safe as well, as long as you take the necessary precautions for any urban area at night.

BTW, the cab situation in Lafayette is not very good, so I would not put too much hope in that.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

Porelly.......I would keep that car a few more days. Getting around in southern cities can be a problem at times.

On Blue Moon there was a recent post about it on this forum. I will see if I can find it. Seems like it was positive. Good luck.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

I did not find the post I was looking for but I did find a few negative posts about Blue Moon. There's mention that it's a hostel and there's a community bath and kitchen. I think I would try one of TA's higher rated hotels. Looks like most of them are chain hotels like La Quinta and Holiday Inn. Also BM has a bar with music that you will have to listen to all night. Good luck.

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

The Blue Moon has a couple of hostel rooms and several private rooms, some with bath. It's a funky place with lots of character and very well located if you don't mind hearing music until 1 am. It's my favorite music venue--less smoky and very comfortable for unaccompanied women.

It's not for those who prefer La Quinta and driving. I haven't stayed there in years, so I can't attest to cleanliness, service, etc. There's a great yard and front porch.

Neighborhood. It is far from deserted and one could indeed stay there without a car. (And that is rare in Lafayette.) Within two blocks are a number of good restaurants: Cedar Grocery (awesome and really is a restaurant), Borden's (ice cream), Filling Station, Artmosphere (restaurant and music venue), Pamplona (tapas). Within five blocks there are more.

Hope this helps!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

Txs for all the info, I feel much better. And Lisbette, txs for all the restaurant info. I've made a note of everthing.

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

Please remember to let us know how your trip goes.................Bon Voyage!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

In my opinion, one of the better lunch spots in that area is The Antlers. Of course, I'm a rice and gravy guy. :-)

www.antlersdowntown.com/pages/default.asp…

United States
Level Contributor
433 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BlueMoon Guest House

Bonnie Belles Bistro, French Press are pretty good too! Along with tsunami. If you want to be in the heart of downtown, I really do recommend Buchanan Lofts again. Brand new and was opened up by the same owner that owns Tsunami sushi. The lofts are literally right next to city bar and tsunami. Blue Moon is a super cool music venue. We had friends that stayed there and loved it. They said it was noisy but didn't mind cause they were jamming until late with the band. Atmosphere is super cool too with food options. Rivals sports bar is a block away from Blue Moon too and is a relaxed sports bar and grill. I agree that Blue Moon is close enough to walk the downtown area. We park near there when going to downtown alive or festival international.