We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Rodel back to Tarbert

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
978 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
From Rodel back to Tarbert

I'm lopping around the southern bit of Harris tomorrow as far as Rodel church and according to gmaps the return journey is about the same whether I double back via Northton etc or continue directly north along what I assume is a single track road. I'm used to single track roads around here by now and it'd be nice to see some new scenery but I'm aware that I HAVE to be back in Tarbert at a given time to catch the ferry. Any risk taking the more direct route, if I give myself say 2 hours to get back?

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,416 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

I cant help with the timings, but I do remember that road. Like being on another planet, if its the same. It has some history.

scotland
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

It is called the Golden Road( think because of the huge costs to build it) lots of twists and turns, it may take more time than you think

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,973 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

It is well worth factoring in the time to do.it wont take you two hours.It is absolutely beautiful in a completely different way to the west coast.

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

I remember that road very well, it was like driving on Mars.

Sunny

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,973 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

Yes, I've read and heard it described as a Moonscape,even by one of my favourite writers, W H Murray!

But I don't find it that way at all....it's one of my favourite areas anywhere.We drove it on a sunny day 10 days ago.Waterlily - covered lochans, about 60 different little sea lochs and bays. Pink Lewisian Gneiss rock and emerald green hills and the ocean sparkling blue.Paradise to me. Vive la difference I suppose!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

The last bit around to Drinshader takes a while but is a nice drive if teh day is good - allow a tad more to get out and take pics. Mission House studio is a great gallery and Nickolai very interesting guy.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
978 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

Thanks for the responses, all. I did read the first few before I set off that morning. Rather than taking a chance I decided to do the golden road first, that way I could judge the rest of the my day accordingly. Unfortunately, I cocked it up somewhat, and the first inkling I knew that I had gone wrong was as I passed the Macleod Stone. Oh well.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

There are not many options...

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,416 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

Did you not go on the golden road on the return, then?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
978 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Rodel back to Tarbert

peterscot, unfortunately not. I spent so much time hiking and exploring and just staring (the hike at the end of the Taobh Tuath road being a prime example) that I lost track of time somewhat and had to go back to the ferry on the more direct route (I was also on that side of the island by then).

I've also figured out where I went wrong. On gmaps, 57.834635, -6.800319, there's a t-junction, turn left to continue on the golden road, but following signs for Rodel, I turned right, and so ended up back on the main road. So I got to see less than half of the golden road. Shame. It would've taken just one look at a map before I set off to know which way to go, but I was surprised that there were so few 'Golden Road' signposts - just one at the start outside Tarbert.

Get answers to your questions about Lewis and Harris