We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible move in 2007

Which Louisville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Possible move in 2007

Good morning Louisville forum!

It's possible that my family and I will be moving to Louisville in the summer of 2007. If this move happens, my husband will be at the University of Louisville. We have a 13 year old son who will be entering 9th grade so we need to look for a great high school. I've heard the Olmsted schools are really good. Don't mind a bit of a commute (we used to live in Philadelphia and Cincinnati and currently reside in Tucson so we know about commuting) as long as we're close to a freeway access. We love the idea of country living so any suggestions on housing and great schools would be greatly appreciated!

Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Possible move in 2007

Well, I think you should be covered as far as restaurants go from all of the previous posts.

If you're only in town for a few days I would think you would want to drive around and look at potential neighborhoods.

May I suggest that you look up and down the Bardstown Rd. corridor (Highlands), the Frankfort Ave. corridor (Crescent Hill) and St. Matthews (just east of Crescent Hill where Shelbyville Rd splits into Lexington Rd. and Frankfort Avenue). These neighborhoods have an older, village feel to them. They are suburban, but not miles away from downtown.

If you want more suburban, try traveling out Hwy. 42, Hwy 22 and Shelbyville Rd.

And if you want to check out Oldham County, as mentioned earlier, just travel even further out Hwy. 42, Hwy. 22 or LaGrange Rd. They all run into Oldham County.

If you want to check out some of the local attractions go see The Louisville Slugger Museum, Kentucky Derby Museum, Muhammad Ali Center, Louisville Zoo, take a ride on the Belle of Louisville if it's not too cold(it may already be closed for the winter when you get here). Linda's suggestion re: the holiday thing on Bardstown Rd. is a lot of fun. I can recommend that, also.

Good Luck and welcome to Falls City.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Possible move in 2007

Thanks everyone for such good suggestions! We'll be arriving on Sunday, December 3rd and leaving Tuesday, December 5th. It's a quick visit to get things rolling. I am hoping to check out some neighborhoods while we're there. I've done a lot of internet searching (www.homesinlouisville.com seems to be the best so far) and looking for good neighborhoods and schools. Looks like there's a lot to choose from!

I'm guessing we're going to stay downtown as that's closest to the University but we haven't heard from them yet so I may just go ahead and book a hotel just to be on the safe side. Any suggestions for downtown? From the hotel section, looks like the Marriott downtown would work nicely.

Too bad we'll miss the Bardstown Road Saturday event - but since we'll be living there, we'll catch it in 2007! Also, suggestions for what to bring for weather? We're coming from Tucson via Chicago so we'll packing for cold.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Possible move in 2007

Who is "we'? more than 2? I suggest bidding on priceline for a 3 star downtown hotel. You'll get the Marriott or the Hyatt or Galt House, and you can probably bid for about 65 a night. I know people who have bid even lower than that, actually! Why spend $200 on a room when they give them away on priceline bidding? Also, I would not hesitate to contact a good realtor to show you around. That is their job and you are in no way obligated. Having said that, I am not in that business, but I know several extremely good realtors who have been in the business for many years and who would be excellent choices. I think it would be unethical to post their names here, but if you write me at llindac@aol.com and put "realtor" in the subject, I would be happy to make several qualified referrals. The people I know also are experts of UofL, schools, etc. As for the weather, I suggest using weather.com just prior to your departure. It's been warm and cold here.

Louisville
14 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Possible move in 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville

is a site that lists most the info you need. It also has great links, inlcuding the city's award winning website which is actually helpful (www.louisvilleky.gov). You will hear all kinds of stuff from local yokels, and this and that, but those sites arm you with the info to make your own decision.

Old Louisville is where UofL is; it is not downtown but rather over 2 miles south of downtown proper. Old Louisville is the largest district of Victorian era mansions in the country. You should move to the city, it is not really like Cincinnati (which I found crime ridden and run down, with a fairly bleak economy no offense).

The two hottest areas in the city are what realtors refer to as Highlands/Germantown/Butchertown and St. Matthews/Crescent Hill. All are essentially early 20th century streetcar "suburbs" with a good density and very well educated, pleasant neighbors. All have abundant shopping (one could walk if you wish) and plenty of outstanding eats (you will find it a step up from Tuscon IMO) and eclectic stores.

I also would not overlook downtown. If you are looking for a condo, there are many coming on line downtown and they really have some good restaurants, arts, and cultural attractions downtown, certainly much better than what I saw in Phoenix (although suburban Scottsdale impressed me as suburbs go).

Try this website for restaurants:

www.louisvilleoriginals.com

Hope this helps

25. Re: Possible move in 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 26, 2009