We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming from the uk

Which Louisville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ilkeston england
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
coming from the uk

hey i was considering coming to kentucky for a holiday is there enough there to keep me busy for a couple weeks. Also are there any music venues for rock bands etc? any info would be great

cheers adam

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: coming from the uk

Absolutely! Give me a more specific idea of the type of music you like (heavy metal rock, alt rock, indy rock, punk rock etc.) and I can give more precise suggestions. If you are visiting soon, I'll see what bands are scheduled to play during your trip.

Also, fyi.......Louisville has two weekly music/dining/entertainment guides. (Our versions of "Time Out") They are "Velocity" and "The LEO - Louisville Eccentric Observer" Both publish on Wednesday. Velocity has more listings for dates beyond the coming week. Here are the links:

Velocity:

velocityweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

LEO

http://www.leoweekly.com/

WFPK is our local non-profit radio station. Here's their concert calendar:

http://www.wfpk.org/concert.htm

Louisville has many live music venues and most pubs/bars host live music and/or DJ's...especially around the weekends. For what it is worth, "My Morning Jacket", "VHS or Beta" and Joan Osborne are all from Louisville.

Some of the Louisville music venues that host (non-local) touring bands are....

-The Louisville Palace

-Headliners

-Omalley's Corner (Coyotes)

-Phoenix Hill Tavern

-The Rudyard Kipling

Louisville also has a free concert series "Waterfront Wednesday's" - a free, outdoor concert is held on the last Wednesday of the month, April through September. I was working & couldn't make it, but "The Old Crow Medicine Show" and "Scott Miller and the Commonwealth" played tonight.

Worth noting also.... is that Louisville is within an easy drive of several major cities (be sure to check their concert schedules too). We take road trips to see concerts all the time (pack a cooler).

"Riverbend Music Center" in Cincinnati is a fantastic place to see larger bands. Without knowing your taste, I just picked a couple of bands scheduled for the near future.

Korn/Deftones - Sept. 12

Aerosmith - Oct 9

Here's the website http://www.riverbend-music.com/

Cincinnati's entertainment guide is "City Beat". Here's the site.

http://www.citybeat.com/current/index.shtml

Here's how long it takes to get to neighboring cities. Assuming that you drive as *efficiently* as I do.

-Lexington, Kentucky (1.5 hours)

-Cincinnati, Ohio (1.5 hours)

-Indianapolis, Indiana (2 hours)

-Chicago, Illinois (4.5 hours...and they lag an hour behind us...which is good if you are running late)

Sorry about the information overkill. Good luck & let me know if you need any additional info.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
484 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coming from the uk

You might also check out the websites of my two favorite local alternative rock stations. WLRS 105.1 website is wlrs.com and FOX 93.1 is foxrocks.com. They post upcoming live rock performances.

ilkeston england
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: coming from the uk

Yeh im a big metal fan. will there be other things to do there if i stay for a couple of weeks? im really looking to just do something differant instead of a beach holiday in europe.

cheers adam

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
484 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coming from the uk

Honestly I would say one week would be plenty to see the sights around this part of Kentucky but you could always rent a car and make side trips. Cincinnati Ohio, Nashville Tennessee and Indianapolis Indiana are only a couple of hours drive and if you're adventurous, Chicago Illinois, St Louis Missouri and The Smokey Mountains in Tennessee are four to five hours away. Louisville would be a great base.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coming from the uk

I agree with Alicia. I think it would be fun to use this as a base for a road trip or two. So many visitors from Europe do Florida or one of the huge cities and miss some of the charm of other parts of America. Check out the "go lists" on this site for activities. Also depends on when you are traveling. We have pretty hot humid summers, but places are air conditioned. October is a nice time to visit with the leaves changing colors. Ditto for April and May.

ilkeston england
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: coming from the uk

cool thanks for all the info people i am considering october so i have time to save for this. i mat stay 2 weeks and rent a car see as much as i can.

cheers.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: coming from the uk

metaldud,

What made you choose Louisville for your holiday? Since many Europeans do tend to visit New York, California, Florida etc., I was curious about what drew you to Kentucky.

Are you a big horse racing fan? Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby is what brings most vacationers to our area.

ilkeston england
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: coming from the uk

weirdly enough it was a movie i saw some set in kentucky and i really liked what i saw of it. I just really want something differant for a holiday on top of that there is a horror convention i want to go to in kentucky.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: coming from the uk

As good a reason as any.......Savannah, Georgia has thousands of visitors each year because the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" was set there. There are whole tours devoted to it.

Now I'm trying to think of all the movies set in Kentucky......

-Elizabethtown

-Sea Biscuit

-Kalifornia (with Brad Pitt playing a creepy redneck)

-The Return of the Living Dead

-Avenging Disco Vampires (set in Rabbit Hash, Kentucky)

ilkeston england
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: coming from the uk

Yeh dude alot of those movies are the reason i want to visit this place. its so differant to the uk i need a major scenery change for a couple of weeks.