We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

derby infield question

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Topic
derby infield question

Is it worth it to go early to get a good spot or does it not matter. We got a group of 11guys in our thirties for my bachelor party. Was thinkin it would behoove us to have two or three get there at 730 wait on line with chairs ans blankets to try to get a halfway decent spot.

Any suggestions of where in infield would be advisable? Thanks

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
232 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: derby infield question

it would be a good ideal to get there early to try to get a spot close to the fence.

you may see a glimpse of a horse.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: derby infield question

If you get there between eight and nine you will have a lot of choices. Third turn is college party atmosphere. First / second turn is more family oriented.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: derby infield question

Prob a good idea to setup by family area i guess and then travel into college area when we want to see some crazyness?? How do we know what turn is what? Are there markers that say first turn, second turn, etc?

Edited: 9:48 am, April 26, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: derby infield question

Rich, if you have chairs(and I recommend bringing one) you will have to go through gate three. Then you will go through a tunnel, and once through on the other side , proceed Straight down the concrete walkway and you Will run in to turn 1

If you are going through gate 3 you will want to park at papa johns stadium. , 15 bucks I think. Short walk to the track and you come right to gate 3

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: derby infield question

Rich, one more thing , if you are having a bachelor party you probaly want turn 3

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: derby infield question

Yea u think? I mean we are mostly in mid to late thirties so not sure if we want to be trapped in the crazyness? Wouldnt we want to be in the calmer area and walk over to the asylum area when we want to see the crazyness?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: derby infield question

Also we have transport to the track so no parking issues. Thanks for that pointer though

8. Re: derby infield question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 29, 2015