We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to/from Galt House

Germany
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to/from Galt House

I'll be staying at the Galt House for a conference, and will not have a car. I'm an American living overseas, have not been back to the US in a few years, and cannot wait to go shopping in an actual American shopping mall. I lived near Louisville some years ago, so I am familiar with the city, and there are several places I plan to go while in town.

What are my best options for getting around the city? My destinations are spread fairly wide throughout the city. I know that I can't count on public transportation like I do in Europe. My thought was to rent a car from the airport location for one weekend day, and use a taxi to get to/from the airport. Is that a reasonable option? What would be the approximate taxi fare? I have never been to the Galt House, and know the general location, but it has been a while since I've been in town and don't recall exactly how far that is from the airport. Or is there a rental car company I can walk to from the hotel? (preferred)

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to/from Galt House

The Galt House will arrange transportation for you, 10 dollars:

For guest convenience the Galt House - Louisville's only downtown waterfront hotel, has prearranged airport transportation with your reservation. To take advantage of this prearrangement, please call (502) 561-4022 in advance of your arrival and provide your flight number and arrival time. The cost is $10 each way per person, billed to the guest room upon arrival. Gratuities not included. Transportation service hours of operation are 7am-8pm. In case of transportation emergency, call (502) 210-3597.

Straight from their web site. As far as the Mall shopping, we have 2 large Malls on Shelbyville Road, the Mall of St Matthews and Oxmoor Center. There's also Jefferson Mall, but I never go there so don't know anything about it. A taxi from the Galt House will be a little pricey. However, we have buses that go there. I don't think there's a direct route from downtown, but you can look at Transit Authority of River City website and get the info.I wouldn't bother renting a car. There's a lot more to do and see in downtown Louisville than before. You can walk to major attractions, restaurants, clubs, etc.

Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to/from Galt House

jess

I'll have to disagree with Linda on this one.

You should just rent a car at the airport. All the major rental companies do business there...Avis, Hertz, etc.

If you want to go to a mall from The Galt House, you would probably have to transfer at least once, maybe a couple times. And it would take a while. Like you said, our public transportation is probably not what you are used to. Plus, you'll want to do both Oxmoor and St. Matthews Malls. They're close to each other, but you won't want to walk between them because of the traffic you would need to cross.

If you were just staying downtown, I would suggest foregoing the rental, also. But you sound intent on going to the mall.

Have fun.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to/from Galt House

Yeah, you're probably right. it probably would be better to rent a car. They have a car rental desk at the Galt House.

4. Re: Transportation to/from Galt House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 15, 2009