We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days in Louisville

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Four days in Louisville

Good day:

My girlfriend and I are travelling to the U.S. from Alberta (cradle of rye whisky) and are hoping to be in Louisville next May or June. We are planning about a four day stay. I am extremely interested in bourbon tours, and whisky in general. Unfortunately, the better half doesn't share my enthusiam for whisky and I would like to also do things in Louisville that she might enjoy. She enjoys art and design stuff and is a bit of an adrenaline junky. We both love food and good dining (doesn't have to be fancy, just good, though we wouldn't shun fancy, either).

Can anyone make any suggestions on how to spend four days in Louisville (at least one - maybe two - days will be spent on bourbon tours)?

Thanks.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days in Louisville

A couple of thoughts off the top of my head......

The Kentucky Derby takes place in Louisville on the first Saturday in May each year. Saturday, May 4th will be the date in 2013. There are lots of events that take place in the two weeks leading up to The Derby. That said, it is incredibly expensive to book a room anywhere within 50 miles of Louisville in the three to four days surrounding The KY Derby weekend. If your trip coincides with The Derby, you'll need to start trying to get your accommodations locked in as soon as possible.

Louisville starts nursing its hangover the Monday following The Derby and things go back to normal. Churchill Downs will continue to have live racing until late June or early July.

There are several threads on this forum discussing the Kentucky Bourbon Trail and the pro's & con's of each distillery. Most distilleries are about an hours drive from Louisville. You'll need a car. There really isn't any sort of public transportation into those areas of the state. There may be some tours that provide transportation. http://kybourbontrail.com/

There's an "Urban Bourbon Trail" in Louisville. I've been to pretty much every bar/restaurant on the list, but haven't formally tried the passport thingy. …metromix.com/restaurants/…content

In my opinion, the Old Seelbach Bar would be the place if I had to pick one for a recommendation. Vintage. Jazz. Bourbon. History.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8EKth4TTrM

Take a look at the 21C Hotel for your girlfriend. It's a hotel combined with a modern art museum. http://www.21cmuseumhotels.com/louisville/

Level Contributor
417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Four days in Louisville

For the adreneline rush, you might want to try the zip lining at the mega caverns. It is all underground. check their website

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four days in Louisville

Thank you both for the great information.

We'll definitely be hitting the Old Seelbach, and it looks like a zip line is in our future. Great links, Seagrover. They also helped me find an "art hop" or something to that effect via a trolley. My girlfriend will love that.

We'll also be sure to book well after the Kentucky Derby, probably the last week of May or the first week of June.

Thanks again.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Four days in Louisville

There is an art hop in the NuLu area on the first Friday of each month. "First Friday Trolley Hop"

www.ldmd.org/First-Friday-Trolley-Hop.html

Frankfort Ave. area started another trolley hop on the LAST Friday of each month. http://www.fatfridayhop.org/About.aspx

Bardstown Road is art and interesting stuff every day. You may want to set a half day aside for exploring. This video pretty much says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhL9dLLOdI

I didn't take the video, but let me know if you want to know where any of the sites are located. It's my neighborhood.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four days in Louisville

Thank you so much, Seagrover. This is great information. I'll be sure to let you know if we need more directions. I already can't wait for our trip.

Louisville, KY.
Level Contributor
33 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four days in Louisville

If I were you I would spend a couple of nights in Downtown Louisville and then move on down to Bardstown Kentucky that is about 40 miles south of Louisville

You can have fun in Downtown and enjoy some of the best restaurants in Louisville and then slow down a bit and enjoy the little town of Bardstown with the Whiskey distilleries and they have a great downtown area that she may like to spend some time shopping in and having lunch. Lots of history there.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four days in Louisville

Thanks, corvete001. I'm now thinking a day trip (at the very least) to Bardstown might be in order. Was hoping not to have to rent a car, but if we have to we have to, there're just too many bourbon-related goodies around there not to check them out. Thanks, again.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Four days in Louisville

If you want to tour some bourbon distilleries, you need to either rent a car or a take a taxi. Mr. Taxi out of Lexington (Lexington will have a bourbon distillery on the trail beginning in 4 days!), can take you around for a flat rate: www.mrtaxi.com.

If you come to Lexington, you have to take a horse farm tour. Lexington is where Derby champions are bred, born, trained, retire and are buried: www.visitlex.com/idea/horse-farms.php .

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
38 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four days in Louisville

You both should enjoy the Muhammed Ali Museum in downtown Louisville. It is a fine tribute to one of the most compelling figures of the 20th (and 21st) centuries.

If you like theater, check out the schedule for Actors Theatre of Louisville, one of the finest theater companies in the country.

And, if you're into baseball, check out the Louisville Slugger Museum, also downtown.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four days in Louisville

Hello again, everyone.

Well, we're booked and will be in Kentucky in late May. We only have four days so this is our plan:

We arrive in Louisville, rent a car at the airport, drive to Bardstown and spend two days exploring Bardstown, touring the Bourbon Trail, and dining with the Colonel and his wife. Then, we make our way back to Louisville for two days, staying at the Brown Hotel, doing the zip-line caverns, Friday art-walk-trolley thingy, and trying some places to eat and drink (must try the Mint Julep and the Hot Brown Sandwich).

Does this sound reasonable? If anyone wants to recommend anything I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks again to everyone.