We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kentucky Derby 2013

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kentucky Derby 2013

My dream has been to go to the Derby on birthday and next year that is true. Any suggestions for how to start planning would be great. Should I buy a ticket package through the official channels are there better tour groups then others. Any advice would be appreciated. I know I can't book a hotel yet but should be able to in a month. My preference is a Marriott - any better then others.

Thanks.

Estes Park
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

Stay at home, unless you are very rich and can pay for a suite and a limo to take you and pick you up. We were at the race, 2012, and I will never go back. You couldn't pay me to go, it was bad.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

Thanks. Can I ask what happened? I have so wanted to go for such a long time.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
114 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

I'm not sure what kokopelliinn's issue was with Saturday. I was there and had a blast! We are far from "very rich"- we sat in the bleachers, parked our car at Papa John's Stadium and walked to Churchill Downs. Sure, it was hot and drinks were expensive but that's what you get when you go to ANY major sporting event.

I'm not sure about ticket packages or tour groups but keep in mind the Marriott will be in the $750/night range, maybe more. Every hotel, motel, and B&B jacks up their prices.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

Hi - How did you get your tickets? Where did you stay? Thanks for your info. I know I need to start planning now.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
114 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

I requested tickets from Churchill Downs. If you want to sit anywhere other than 1st or 2nd floor grandstand or the infield club, you'll have to go through Stub Hub or something like that. The seat offerings from CD are pretty lackluster. We stayed at the Motel 6 in Jeffersonville, IN but I cannot recommend it! It was the cheapest within 10 miles of Churchill Downs but you really get what you pay for. We've also stayed at the Super 8 by the airport which was a small step up from the Motel 6.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
370 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

I was at the Downtown marriott two days after the derby and heard the rooms for derby were $1700. Crazy! Rooms were nice, but they are usually only $150 a night.

I live in KY but have never had the desire to go to the derby. I've had friends go who have enjoyed it though. If you are in the infield it can be rowdy (do some YouTube searches) and you cannot usually see the races. I can watch on tv and actually see the horses and bet at the racetrack in Lexington.

Edited: 8:34 pm, May 13, 2012
7. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, March 07, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

If you are hosting a Derby Party, this is the App to get for the pool:

iPad

https:/…

iPhone

https:/…

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

Hmmm.....planning right now you might not get the best seat or accommodation but still seat are available and it can be purchased online. Hotel, you might have to stay further away and drive to park close by Churchill Downs because they won't allow you to park inside. You take a walk to the event...there are party or taste of derby if you want to try that, fine dining cuisine...not sure who they will bring this year though.

hoteltrip.com/travelblogs/…

That might help for accommodation a little if there are still left to find. I got to say it is very expensive but I live downtown so I just watch tv at home. You can also check out package with Galt House or Marriott, they might have something available but those will be minimum 3 nights stay so it will be more than 1500+ at least.

Regards,

Mini M

Scottsdale...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kentucky Derby 2013

Check out this website for more information about Kentucky Derby Tickets, Hotels and things to do.

www.kentuckyderbytravel.com

Get answers to your questions about Louisville