We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far to Mammoth Cave?

Urbana, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
How far to Mammoth Cave?

How long of a ride is it to Mammoth Cave? I've read about 1-1.5 hours from Louisville, but when I mapped it out on GMap it says it's about 2.5 hours.

Will be in Louisville for a short stay, just wanted to maximize our time.

Which restaurant is a MUST in Louiville?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
484 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far to Mammoth Cave?

It's about 1 1/2hrs. 90 miles, all interstate (I65).

Louisville, Kentucky
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How far to Mammoth Cave?

What price range are you looking for in a restaurant?

Kaelin's Restaurant (recently an answer on Jeopardy) is where they say the cheeseburger was originated. They have great burgers here. They also have foods like fried chicken, salmon croquettes, salads, and daily specials. It's popular with the older crowd. It's an older restaurant in a basically housing neighborhood--not far from Bellarmine University.

Winston's Restaurant at Sullivan University is a 3 1/2 star culinary treat. The chef is really great, and the students from the National Center for Hospitality Studies at Sullivan do their internships there. The food is top-notch excellent, blending different flavors and cuisines into superb dishes and desserts. They are open only for lunch and dinner on Friday and Saturday, and brunch on Sundays. Reservations recommended. Prices range from about $15-$30 for an entree. (I work at Sullivan, so I can say first-hand that this is a great place!)

Another place that's really wonderful for Sunday brunch is The Lighthouse Restaurant at the Galt House Hotel. They have a revolving rooftop restaurant here, and they serve a really great brunch. There is an omelette station and a dessert station, plus assorted main dishes (breakfast and lunch foods), fruits and cheeses, and salads. The view is beautiful from the revolving section--you can take in the Ohio River and Indiana--and the price is not really bad for all you can eat--I think around $18 per person.

Good luck, and happy eating!

(And as an aside, I would also suggest a visit to Kentucky Down Under--which is in Horse Cave, Kentucky, just before you get to the Mammoth Cave Exit. This place is great! They have all kinds of animals from Australia, there is a replica of an Australian outpost with displays of what takes place on an Australian ranch, boomerang-throwing lessons, and a really wonderful cave that is all included in the price. As a matter of fact, I much prefer the cave here to Mammoth Cave--looks more like the caves of my imagination than just the giant hole underground that Mammoth Cave is.)

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far to Mammoth Cave?

Call me a Louisville homer if you like, but it's almost impossible to suggest only one local restaurant as the very best. It really depends on your taste. If you're looking for local and upscale, I'd recommend the restaurant inside the Brown (the name escapes me right now, but it's the only one), Lilly's or, one of my personal favorites, Jack Fry's. I also love Pat's Steakhouse and I've recommended it many times before. Great atmosphere. Feels really...old school...for lack of better description. If you're looking for something local on more of a budget, let me suggest the Bristol (lots on the menu) and both North End Cafe and Cafe Lou Lou. They're two of my new favorites. I also offered a short restaurant review at our local city blog MoreThanDerby.com. Check it out:

www.morethanderby.com/index.php…