We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2012 Kentucky Derby

mid mich
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Topic
2012 Kentucky Derby

This is our first Kentucky Derby (2012). We have grandstand seats and my husband wants to know if he needs a coat and tie. Also have Oaks tickets. Is it as dressed up as the Derby? This is a dream trip for me. I've been a race fan for many years. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kentucky Derby
Kentucky Derby
90 Reviews
Louisville, KY
Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2012 Kentucky Derby

Grandstand clothing can go either way. You'll see some people dressed up and some in more casual attire. Your husband isn't required to wear a coat and tie in the Grandstand.

Oaks has become very similar to the Derby. People dress according to where their seats are located. My advice for Grandstand would be the same as above. Anyone sitting in Clubhouse level or higher will be dressed up. Upper floors require coat & tie.

Best advice: Wear comfortable shoes & make your hotel reservations now.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2012 Kentucky Derby

Almost forgot.....

You should be thinking about making dinner reservations soon (particularly for Oaks & Derby night during peak hours (7pm - 9pm).

Take a look at the local food forum for dining ideas....

forums.louisvillehotbytes.com/viewforum.php…

You can make reservations on OpenTable.com.

3. Re: 2012 Kentucky Derby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 10, 2012