We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Churchill Downs

Kilmore, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of Churchill Downs

Hi all

I'll be passing through Kentucky so thought I'd see if Churchill Downs measures up to a little track at home called Flemington (home of the Melbourne Cup for the uninitiated). Can you get into the track on non-race days with tours etc? I should be there around late may, if there happens to be a meet on then, well even better. Mint Juleps compulsary of course.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Churchill Downs

The track will be open & running in late May. The Kentucky Derby will have happened (first Saturday in May)

I'm sure there are probably guided tours, but I don't have any info. Have you checked the website? Also inquire about "backside" tours.

General admission is cheap - a few bucks. (Just walk up). The upper floors (clubhouse) are more expensive. Definitely get 3rd floor access if nothing else.

There's also the Churchill Downs Museum (on site at Churchill Downs) which may require seperate admission.

Wagner's Pharmacy across the street is a historic diner where jockeys, trainers & owners still meet and eat. Recently named in the top 100 breakfasts in the U.S.A. by some magazine or other. There's some local disagreement about that - although it is pretty good and inexpensive.

If you are really into race tracks. Keeneland in Lexington (and hour southeast) is really beautiful (set in the middle of horse country). However, it will not be running at that time. But I believe they still do tours during off times.

The Kentucky Horse Park is in Lexington as well.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Churchill Downs

From their website:Tours

Organized tours of the facility, barns and backside area are offered by the Kentucky Derby Museum. Please call (502) 637-1111 to schedule a tour of Churchill Downs. Casual tours are available for your party can be arranged during a race day through a Guest Services Representative. These tours are shorter in duration and do not begin until after Race 2. Stop by a Guest Services Booth near Admission Gates 10 or 17 for more information.

I did a tour with one of the head honchos and it was a blast. I agree with seagrover, if you love horses Lexington should be a side trip.We host the KY Derby and the World Championship Saddlebred show, but there are few stables in the area.

3. Re: Tour of Churchill Downs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 29, 2011