We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Louisville??

Midwest
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How safe is Louisville??

I live in a town where let's just say you wouldn't want to be walking downtown after midnight. I am planning on hitting some bars around 4th street and I am staying at the Galt House.My only concern is safety. If I walk from 4th Street Live to Galt House will I be ok?? Where I live if you walk by yourself you are asking for trouble.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Louisville??

Louisville is fairly safe. That said, it is a reasonably sized city where crime occurs. I'd be OK walking from the Galt House to 4th Street during reasonable hours.

As a female, I don't know if I'd walk alone at 2am. Just use normal caution, be aware of your surroundings and stick to well lit & busy areas.

There's also a trolley that makes a loop around downtown with stops at The Galt House and at 4th Street Live. I don't know what time it quits running each night. They should be able to give you some info at the hotel. Here's the site.

http://www.ridetarc.org/trolleys.asp

And a cab ride couldn't be more than $6 to $8 dollars between the two locations.

Midwest
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Louisville??

Thanks! I guess I will have to cab ride it if I stay past 2.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Louisville??

Fourth street live is only two blocks from the Galt House. Things have happened around there and could happen anywhere. You should have no problem walking from point A to B. There are cops on ten speeds that stay in that area and that area is not a bad part of downtown. You will be fine. There will be many cops around 4 st live and since being alone you could ask one to keep an eye on you. Or ask the Galt House if they can pick you up that late. Don't let it spoil your fun!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is Louisville??

I agree with the previous post. 4th street is practically next door to the Galt house. I could be wrong, because I don't ever take cabs, but I would think a cab might not even take that fare. I also think 4th street will have a ton of people around, as well as cops, so I would not be worried about that walk at all as long as you stay right on 4th. Venturing off into some other downtown streets at 2AM would require more caution.

Coming from somewhere where you are already aware of safety and know what to avoid, I think you'll be fine :) Have a great time!

5. Re: How safe is Louisville??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, March 30, 2010