We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Louisville....

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Louisville....

Should I stay at the Brown Hotel or the Hyatt Regency. It is a little road trip with my daughter on college break?

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Historic Corydon...
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

They are both nice hotels. If they are both in your budget then splurge on The Brown. It's a historic hotel with southern character and charm. Be sure to try the famous Kentucky Hot Brown in the very place it was created. The hotel has 2 restaurants that serve it: J Graham Café and The English Grill. I've been told it is better at The English Grill (it also costs more), it's a fine dining restaurant.

If none of that is important to you, then save some money and stay at the Hyatt. It is in a little more convenient location but both are in walkable areas.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

Thank you so much!!!!!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

Are you familiar with Priceline? Bid for a 3.5 star hotel and you can get the Galt house, Marriott, Hyatt for about $80. I wouldn't choose Brown, it's a bit away from downtown spots, the rooms are VERY small. The Hyatt is nice, but since their renovation they have upped their prices . I prefer the Galt House, the Marriott and...look at Holiday Inn Express. I've booked family there 3 times, they loved it.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

Are you familiar with Priceline? Bid for a 3.5 star hotel and you can get the Galt house, Marriott, Hyatt for about $80. I wouldn't choose Brown, it's a bit away from downtown spots, the rooms are VERY small. The Hyatt is nice, but since their renovation they have upped their prices . I prefer the Galt House, the Marriott and...look at Holiday Inn Express. I've booked family there 3 times, they loved it.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

Trucky: The Holiday Inn Express in not in an ideal location for a leisure trip, and it does not offer the amenities that the hotels you asked about do. The Brown and the Hyatt are both very nice. The Hyatt is more central and very modern. The Brown is gorgeous and historic. Both have nice restaurants. The Brown has better restaurants, but the Hyatt is closer to lots of dining options. Since both are good choices, it becomes a matter of price and taste. The Seelbach is also a wonderful historic hotel in a slightly better location than the Brown (between the Brown and the Hyatt on 4th). The Galt House was suggested - the view of the river is unmatched, but the room quality is not quite at the same level as the Brown, Seelbach, or Hyatt.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

The above hotels I mentioned have shuttles that run east and west on Market and north and south on 4th, so location isn't that important. While the Brown and Seelbach are opulent and historical, the rooms are tiny! I've stayed at all of these hotels. The Galt House has a river view and a pool.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

thank you!!!

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,247 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

We think it great that Louisville has several neat hotel choices.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

Hopping on here to concur with the above posts and follow up with additional info:

Brown Hotel is beautiful and historic but, alas, is "off the beaten path" for most touristy activities. You can take the TARC Zero Bus that runs north and south on Fourth Street to 4th Street Live! (restaurants, nightclubs) or head further north to Main Street (lots of restaurants, shops, museums, etc.). If you stay at the Brown, you HAVE to get the "Hot Brown" - Louisville's signature dish that was invented there.

The Hyatt is nice too - but it's across the street from some MAJOR construction at the Kentucky International Convention Center. If you can get a room facing away from the construction, I'd recommend it (although that doesn't mean that you won't get covered in dust when you enter/exit from the hotel).

I'd definitely recommend following LLindaC's advice - if you can get a good deal at the Galt House, go for it! Within easy walking distance of multiple restaurants, museums, shops, etc., AND you're right on the river (with views of Southern Indiana and the Belle of Louisville). It can't be beat!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in Louisville....

Trucky - I have stayed at the Galt House, and the view is the best of any hotel in town. It is large and it caters to convention groups. If you check the TripAdvisor comments about the hotel, though, you will find posts from guests about housekeeping and maintenance issues. The others that you asked about are more "luxury" oriented hotels that are unlikely to have those housekeeping and deferred maintenance issues. It just depends on what sort of hotel you want - but do check the TripAdvisor reviews for the hotel before you book.

Reply to: Hotels in Louisville....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted