We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting KY...help

Tacoma, Wa
1 post
Save Topic
visiting KY...help

My friend and I are planning on visiting Lexington, Versailles, and Louisville from 5/24 to 5/29.

We are booked to stay at the Rose Hill Inn in Versailles and then the Brown Hotel for our last couple of days. We are booked to go to 3 Chimneys. And I looked up the info on Lynn's Paradise Cafe.

But that's as far as I have gotten.

Does anyone have any tips, or suggestions about visiting horse farms, places to shop (in Lex & Louisv), places to eat? Do we need to take taxi's or buses or rent a car?

I would really be thankful for anything anyone could tell me. :o)

Thank you !!

Katie

Huntsville
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting KY...help

You are going to have to rent a car, especially while you stay in Versailles. The Woodford Reserve distillery outside of Versailles would be a neat way to spend a couple hours. They have a very nice tour.

The town of Midway is just a few miles up the road from Versailles. That is definitely worth a visit. It is a charming, albeit very small, town with restaurants, cafes, shops... I've heard the Black Tulip restaurant is excellent, both on here and from other people, but I haven't eaten at it myself.

Read the thread that is titled: "Lexington, KY where do the locals like to dine?" There is a lot of good info there, I would just be repeating it here. However, something that I don't think was included in that thread was Sunrise Bakery. They are located on Main St and they have the BEST cinnamon rolls. Actually, everything there is great, they do European style pastries and bread, as well as coffee. They also do sandwiches at lunch on their homemade bread.

Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting KY...help

You definitely want to rent a car.

Kentucky Horse Park just north of Lexington is nice.

Otherwise, Louisville is a much more fun city. If you're into sports at all, the Louisville Slugger museum is much more interesting than you would expect. You can tour Churchill Downs and there is also a Kentucky Derby Museum. Downtown, north of Broadway on 4th street, is 4th street live. It has restaurants such as Fridays, Hard Rock, and others, nightclubs, bowling, movies, shopping, etc. You could walk there from the Brown. A ride on the Belle of Louisville is fun and informative. If you like history, check out Locust Grove or Farmington. If you are into shopping for antiques, Market street (which is a downtown street) heading east has an antique area.

In between Louisville and Lexington, in Shelbyville, is Claudia Sanders restaurant (Colonel Sanders wife) which is a nice place to stop and eat.

Let me know if I can help you more.

Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting KY...help

I don't know if you're into ghost stories at all. But if you are, the book Ghosts of Old Louisville is very interesting with lots of neat facts and stories about a very interesting part of town. I would read it before I came if I was interested at all. The author also does ghost tours which I keep wanting to go on, and have heard are wonderful, just haven't had time to go.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
4 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting KY...help

You should look into the Lexington Ky convention site on the Web. I live here and would recommend visiting the Kentucky Horse Park (also has a web site) as it is beautiful country and great museum and live horses. You might enjoy visiting the Henry Clay historic home (Main St. to Richmond Rd) which is only $7 or less with coupons available for discounts at local hotels. I am a docent there as disclosure but the grounds are free and lovely. There are several other historic homes in Lexington, including Mary Todd Lincoln home. There is a discount you can get if you visit more than one. I agree with visiting Woodford Reserve. There also are several wineries in the country here that are lovely. The historic Kentucky Theatre downtown has first run shows and is restored. On Monday nights it hosts a live radio show, Woodsongs (also on the web). There is a bar scene downtown later at night with bars open till 2 am if you enjoy that and venues such as The Dame with live shows. There also is live theatre but not sure which shows when you are here. There also is another historic venue, the Opera House that has live shows. You will need a car and good maps. The convention bureau can give you maps or AAA. Lots of Indian, Mexican, Thai and Chinese restaurants that are good and inexpensive. Also lots of upscale and expensive restaurants, Dudleys for a real treat or Alfafas downtown for great vegetarian and chicken, fish. For art,the Lexington Art League usually has a display at its historic building (also on the web) and the University of Kentucky has an art museum. Outside of town is the Headley Whitney jewerly museum, very unique. There are tours of horse farms but Three Chimneys is a good show. Shopping in Lexington is at the malls mostly, Fayette on busy Nicholasville Rd and Madden Place, seperate stores off I 75, or more unique shops around the university and downtown. Kentucky is pretty that time of year so you will enjoy doing activities in the country, just depends on what you enjoy really. There is a public bus system in Lexington, but to get between Versailles (which is small and spread out) and anywhere you need a car, much cheaper and nicer than cabs here.

Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting KY...help

Place to eat in Louisville: Jack Fry's

Do take a tour of Woodford Reserve Distillery. Beautiful that time of year.

Do a day at the races at Churchill Downs.

Your going to need a car, by the way.

Drive through Frankfort on your way to Louisville and check out our Capitol Building. Beautiful. Hop out and go inside. Very pretty on the inside, also.

While in Versailles eat at Railheads. Good food. Best restaurant in Versailles. And do Holly Hill Inn in Midway. Very good food. Versailles and Midway are only a few miles apart.

Take a ride on the Belle of Louisville while your in Louisville.

Have fun.

6. Re: visiting KY...help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, August 29, 2009