We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
montreal
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New Years

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Lexington, more specifically to see the Montgomery Gentry show at the Rupp Arena...but we're there a couple of days in advance and wonder what recommendations there may be for music and restaurants as well. We will have a car so can travel around -- also, are there any absolute must-sees for attractions? Thanks!

aussie
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years

If you haven't booked your hotel I would stay downtown, Radisson or Hyatt, both are pricey but it is New Years. If your going to drink at the concert do not depend on a cab on New years its usually a 2-3 hour wait (another reason to stay at the hyatt or radisson) The rooms include tix to the party at the hotel which lasts until 2, I'm not sure how long the concert will last but a New Years Day brunch is also included. Kentucky is famous for bourbon, take the time to visit a distillery -Labrot and Graham in Versailles is great.- Woodford Reserve is made here. The Merrick Inn for dinner is also recommended, the building is great the food is good traditional southern cuisine. The Metropol (downtown) is also very good. Victorian square has nice shops. Nightlife is abundant in Lexington, especially in downtown area. Since your going to a country concert then i will assume you would like a country bar - Saddle Ridge is on North Broadway and is a great time, its huge. Have fun and ask people- southern hospitality is alive and well in Lexington.

Huntsville
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years

Lexington is all about horses, so the Kentucky Horse Park is probably the closest thing to a "must-see" attraction. I haven't been there in years, but it is very nice. Three Chimneys Farm on Old Frankfort Pike does tours of a working horse farm with reservations. Also, simply driving around the horse farms is a nice way to spend a couple hours and get some nice photos. Old Frankfort Pike is a beautiful drive. See "Spring Trip to Lexington" thread for some more details concerning horse related activities.

If you like Blues music, Cheapside Bar and Grill has live music every weekend. Usually the bands are very good. Cheapside is downtown on the corner of Short and Mill St, only a couple blocks from Rupp Arena.

I don't know your age, but Two Key's Tavern on South Limestone is probably the biggest college bar in town.

For local style food, Ramsey's on the corner of High and Woodland is great and reasonably priced. I recommend the pork chops, fried catfish and fried chicken and all of the vegetables. The also do a good Sunday brunch. Nothing fancy, just good.

Alfalfa's on Main St has great, good for you food. Great soups, vegetarian entrees, hoppin' Johns... It has a beatnik crowd, but I like their food even though I'm a carnivore.

Joe Bologna's is a good Italian place on Maxwell St. it is in an old church, with the bar at the alter. It is actually next to Two Keys.

Huntsville
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years

Also, does anyone know if Larry Redmon is still around Lexington?

If so, I loved going to watch him when in college. He sings all the old country songs: Willie, Waylon, David Allen Coe, Hank Jr... And he does it very well. He has some songs of his own too that he mixes in. He use to have a bar on Main St called Redmon's, but I moved away and don't know the status anymore. Any country music fan would love that place.

4. Re: New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 18, 2009