We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another relocating person w/ questions!

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Another relocating person w/ questions!

Hi all,

I read all the other posts and got lots of good info so far, but have my own questions. Want to move to Louisville and need to know what are some of the better parts of town/suburbs to live in for a single woman? So far all I know is stay out of the west side of town. Am relocating for better cost of living and so I can buy my own home in say 2 years. Thanks much!

P.S. Best Barbeque in town?

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another relocating person w/ questions!

I would suggest you post this on the Louisville, not Lexington forum.I would suggest you look at an apartment or condo on Frankfort Ave/Grinstead Drive, or one in the area of St Matthews, say at Browns lane area. There are Mallard's Crossing and Waterford Park which have lots of singles. You probably want an East End location, IMO, but don't want to live way out in the boonies, right? Where is your job?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another relocating person w/ questions!

Thanks Linda! I realized I had posted on the wrong page after the fact. AND I was hoping you would be the one to answer as I saw your other posts. I called the Louisville Chamber of Commerce and they sent me a bunch of info and an Apt. Guide. Everyone was so NICE! How is Crescent Hill area? Is Shelbyville far or a suburb?

I'm an Artist/Poet and retired Police Officer. Had to medically retire. I also heard Louisville has a great V.A. Hospital there too.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another relocating person w/ questions!

Hi Veil dancer. I'm a musician and I think you will enjoy the arts scene in Louisville. We have a place called the Rudyard Kipling where they do improv, poetry and a little bit of everything. Let's see, you're moving from Sante Fe? I think the cost of living will be lots less here.Check this out:

http://search.visi.com/cost.shtml

Good news, eh? As far as suburbs, Shelbyville is 45 minutes from Louisville. A cute town, if you want country but close enough to commute. However, I think for a single woman it might not be the best place to live. JMO. The VA hospital here is a very good one, I agree. My Dad goes there monthly.It is off Zorn Ave close to the river, very close to Brownsboro Road and Crescent Hill. I love Crescent Hill! There are neat galleries and restaurants on Frankfort Avenue and the bus line runs along there. Another nice area with some new condos/apartments is one street over, Grinstead Drive. There are also older, large houses which have been duplexed. The area is very convenient to town, shopping and the airport. We live along Lexington Road, a few blocks away. We have a lovely park system right behind us. Another GREAT area for artists is Bardstown Road/Highlands. Again, there are all sorts of housing opportunities; the majority being duplex type older houses and some single units around the Cherokee Road area. I guess the hardest part about finding these places is that they aren't always advertised through an apartment guide, but in the Sunday newspaper, yard signs, etc.Maybe alicia can give you an opinion...?? best barbeque, I don't know, I don't eat beef, pork or chicken! I know Mark's Feed Store has a few locations and is popular, as is Brandon's Barbeque. If you have any other housing questions, feel free to ask. The only thing you'll miss about Sante Fe is the air. We have major humidity and the "River Valley" is notorious for being a rough place for folks with allergies.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
484 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another relocating person w/ questions!

Hmm, well when I heard artist, I immediately thought of the Highlands as a great place for you but the houses are older (although beautiful) which requires a lot of work for a single person and they are also quite pricey. Shelbyville is a nice, typical suburb, but if you plan on commuting for work, the traffic can be a nightmare. I'd go for an apartment on the east end/St Matthews area until you buy a home. Two years should give you plenty of time to get to know the city and help you choose what area you want to buy in. And although we don't mention it often, if you like the suburban atmosphere, there is always southern Indiana. Plenty of chain shopping and restaurants and just a few minutes from downtown (so long as it's not rush hour.)

As for BBQ, I was raised in Texas so I'm super picky and haven't found anything in the area that compares. Marks Feed Store is adequate but nothing to write home about. Sorry I can't help you there!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another relocating person w/ questions!

Thanks for the info! I found a lot of cute places for rent around Lyndon and Middleton. There was one in Crescent hill, but I like suburbs w/ the option to drive into the city. I am retired and don't have to commute anywhere. I will miss the air in Santa Fe, and some of the art scene, but unless you are VERY wealthy, the quality of life here leaves a lot to be desired. All the real estate prices have been driven through the roof. I'm originally from Hawaii (Military brat) and am used to humidity. Can't wait to see the art scene there. I also understand there is a Shakespeare Festival.

Thanks again.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another relocating person w/ questions!

My mom lives in Lyndon; it's a nice area. There are a few places close to the train tracks, however. Middletown is also a good area....we've had a lot of growth out there of course as new development has pushed to the east. That makes for a few traffic problems, especially Shelbyville Road which is the main drag that goes past both malls out to Middletown, Simpsonville and Shelbyville. There are also many bottlenecks on Hurstbourne Lane. At times, it's hard to avoid these roads. Still, it's not as bad as many cities. There are certainly plenty of grocery stores, restaurants, etc in both areas. If you have specific names of apartments, I'll be glad to comment on them if I can.

7. Re: Another relocating person w/ questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 14, 2009