We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things i must see.....

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
1 post
Save Topic
things i must see.....

I will be in KY on Aug 1 2006

I will be in louville,Lexington and Harrodsburg the most.

I will be there for 7 days

with my 8 1/2 year old son

What is there to do besided visit family!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things i must see.....

I'd recommend the Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs. Also about an hour south is Mammoth Cave National Park - you could make that a day trip.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things i must see.....

Mammoth Cave is about an hour south of Louisville. Near Lexington there is the kentucky Horse park (I've not been there yet). Just a little bit north of Lexington there are tours of the Toyota Camry manufacturing plant (tours must be arranged in advance - http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/tour.asp). Also you might want to go to Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill where you can show your son what people used to do before GameCube, PlayStation, and X-box were invented. Somewhere in Kentucky (don't remember if it's near Harrodsburg or Lexington) there is a genuine, old stockade-style fort where Daniel Boone hung out. I'm sure your son would love that.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things i must see.....

For Lexington:

I don't know if your son is into horses, but you can also take a horse farm tour or contact a particular farm and see if they will give you a tour. I believe Calumet will do this.

Louisville also has Six Flags and a zoo.

Harrodsburg is a nice small town and Shaker Village may be the main attraction. I think you can tour the river there as well on a barge.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: things i must see.....

Here's a link to Fort Boonesborough. It's only about 20 minutes from Lexington.

http://parks.ky.gov/stateparks/fb/index.htm

From I-75, take exit 95 to KY 627.