We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting lexington in April, itinerary help!

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
295 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting lexington in April, itinerary help!

My husband and I are visiting lexington early April for the first time. We are both mid 20s no kids. We love being outdoors, antique malls/shops, exploring new places, museums, history, good food that isnt chain restaurants, unique restaurants. We are on a tight budget and trying to do free and inexpensive things. we can only stay 1 night and want to do as much as possible. Here's the itinerary so far..

Tuesday

10am lex horse park

Lunch at Saul good

Visit Victorian square and downtown lex shops

Thorobred park

Heritage antiques

Buffalo trace distillery free tour in Frankfort

Old capital antiques in Frankfort

Georgetown antique mall

Check into hotel at microtel inn & suites (price seemed good with decent reviews)

Dinner at joe bolognas

Shop at malls or head back to hotel depending on time

Wednesday

11am keeneland for races at 1pm

(Not sure how long races will last, probably eat something there for lunch?)

Jacobson park

Explore nearby towns(ideas?)

Dinner at copper river grill? Food looked good but not sure yet, would like a more unique place.

Back to hotel depending on time, otherwise explore, shop ect

Thursday

Check out of hotel

Lunch at ramseys diner

Head back to ohio? We might stay later if we find something else to do in the area. We would head back by 5pm at least.

So questions are, does this sound doable? How long will we be at keeneland? I also love pretzels, are there any restaurants that have them as a app? I haven't found any yet. Any advice would be wonderful! Thank you!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting lexington in April, itinerary help!

I think you have way too much planned to possibly do in the allotted time (absent superhero powers). In part, this is due to the fact that many of the places that you want to go aren't right next to each other. For instance, the Kentucky Horse Park is only 5-10 minutes away from Georgetown, but Frankfort is around an hour's drive in each direction from anywhere in the Lexington area. Also, the Horse Park is north of Lexington, so you have to drive awhile to get to any of the Saul Good locations in Lexington. Finally, if you are going to be visiting during the week, you have to take into consideration that traffic will he heavier than on the weekend, and that will tend to slow you down more.

Another concern is that you don't really seem to be giving yourself enough time at the places you want to see. Specifically, you can easily spend a whole day at the Kentucky Horse Park when you are there during the regular season that runs from March 15th to early November. As you will be paying for a full day's admission (in fact, this year you got the second day free if you bought a one-day ticket), you might as well see all you can there. They have two Horses of the World Show each day (one morning and one afternoon) with a variety of horses who come out in costume, and some of them will also demonstrate tricks. There is the Champions Barn show too, which takes around half an hour and runs three times per day (those shows generally have the same horses in each show on a given day, but occasionally there is a switch made during the day). The champions include such notables as Cigar, Go for Gin, Funny Cide, and Da Hoss, so you will want to see that if you are at the park. Also, the Horse Park has two museums, the International Museum of the Horse (which had a large addition put on a couple years ago) and the American Saddlebred Museum.

Edited: 2:16 pm, January 17, 2014
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting lexington in April, itinerary help!

I agree with the previous poster that the activities you have chosen are very spread out. When you are at the Horse Park why not head on over to Georgetown for antique shops and catch lunch there. When you are at the Horse Park you are only five minutes from Georgetown. The tour at Buffalo Trace is neat but will be a solid 30 minute trip from Lexington. If you are interested in other distilleries you might want yo check out Woodford Reserve which is close to Buffalo. If you are interested in the outdoors I would forgo Jacobson Park and Head to Red River gorge or Natural Bridge State Park and do some hiking. It's a solid 45 minute trip from Lex though. While Jacobson is fine, it is a typical park with playgrounds, green space, dog park, etc and might not be much different from what you have in ohio. Finally, many visitors like to check out Berea, KY and the arts, crafts, and shoppes there (45 minutes south of Lex).

Level Contributor
46 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting lexington in April, itinerary help!

I agree with both of the other posts - too much (and I think there are some things that I would not recommend as well like Jacobson Park, Thoroughbred Park). Given your time constraint, I would concentrate to downtown Lexington (with Keeneland, of course).

Distillery Tours: There's Town Branch Bourbon/Kentucky Ale tour and also a small, unassuming distillery called Barrel House that you could tour.

Brewery Tours: Three awesome breweries in town. The building in which West Sixth Brewing is located has an organization focused on sustainability called Food Chain where they use the beer production waste (spelt) to feed tilapia that are grown indoors which in turn fertilize microgreens which are also grown inside. Also there is a restaurant called Smithtown which uses the tilapia and microgreens. If you are into food, this is a must as it is quite innovative and unique.

Shopping: There are quite a few unique shops downtown - unfortunately, there are not a lot of shops in Victorian Square as of right now (but some still worth going there for), there are quite a few antique and gift shops on Short Street between Jefferson and Broadway, and a gem of a shop on Church Street called The Crushed Violet. Perfume - it is a must. Also some shops on Clay Avenue, Richmond Road between Walton Avenue and Ashland Avenue and in Chevy Chase.

Food: Joe Bologna's and Ramsey's Diner are great options highly suggested. (Ramsey's on High Street just relocated to Zandale but I would definitely go there or to one of their other locations). I'm not a fan of Saul Good, however. The atmosphere is nice (feminine) but the menu is limited with no 'wow' factor and to me, feels more like a chain (that is actually what they are trying to do is start a chain, I think). I would also not suggest Copper River Grill - not worth the drive for the food. I would suggest The Grey Goose for pizza, or The Village Idiot (although it may be pricier, you could stick with sandwiches- their burgers are to die for), or County Club (great eclectic smoked meats with a fabulous salad and a wildly popular dish called Poutine) which is near West Sixth and Food Chain. Sidebar also has a great burger - hole in the wall bar. Limestone Blue is a new sandwich place that is good. Another less expensive food option would be The Parkette. Charming old-time drive-up burger place - they recently remodeled the inside and the atmosphere is so fun. Food is just that - a burger joint that also has fried chicken/shrimp boxes, etc.

There is a Holiday Inn Express not too far from downtown which I would suggest - near UK's campus.

Keeneland is a must. That will be a lot of fun. Food there (IMHO) is not very good, though. You might take that opportunity to go have lunch at Ramsey's on Harrodsburg Road before hand as it is not that far out of the way when going to Keeneland.

Enjoy your trip!

Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting lexington in April, itinerary help!

Overall the food at keeneland isn't anything to write home about, with one major exception...burgoo. You must try that while there!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting lexington in April, itinerary help!

Don't forget the Bread Pudding at Keeneland! Bourbon sauce and all! Yum!

6. Re: Visiting lexington in April, itinerary help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 20, 2015