We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeneland in April

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Keeneland in April

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning on driving up for a three day weekend in April to tour the bourbon trail and spend a day at Keeneland. I haven't picked the weekend yet, and was wondering if it would be worth it to go the weekend of the Bluegrass Stakes. How crowded does Keeneland get for this event compared to other weekends? Also, how soon do you recommend buying reserved seating tickets?

Thanks!!!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Keeneland in April

Blue Grass Stakes day is usually the most crowded day at Keeneland since a prep race for the Derby, although all weekends are usually busy with Saturdays drawing the largest attendance. If you get reserved seats for that day, you will not have to worry about finding a seat or somewhere to stand and will only have to worry about the crowd when getting something to eat, betting, etc. Tickets for reserved seating go on sale tomorrow and I recommend getting them asap!http://www.keeneland.com/racing/lists/tickets/tickets.aspx

I am sure you will have ae wonderful time on the Bourbon Trail and Keeneland!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Keeneland in April

Thank you!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keeneland in April

General admission at Keeneland is like the clubhouse at most race tracks. Bluegrass Stakes day is electric The best horses of the season are there and you will be in awe of the majesty of these thoroughbreds. Crowded, yes; fun and something you'll be glad you did, absolutely!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Keeneland in April

Does the Bluegrass sell out quickly? Should I get tickets tomorrow?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keeneland in April

As with any sporting even, the sooner you buy your ticket, the better your seat. Lexington is my home town, and you can't go wrong with Keeneland, on foot or in a seat...but get a seat!

Don't leave without trying the burgoo...it's a Kentucky and Keeneland tradition.

lexington
Level Contributor
220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keeneland in April

Keeneland is really, really crowded on the Saturdays of the Bluegrass and Lexington Stakes, so much so that I won't go on those days unless I have Clubhouse passes. My favorite day to go to Keeneland is Sunday, when it is not real crowded. That being said, and day that the weather is good means a bigger crowd.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keeneland in April

Many people bring their own folding chairs on Bluegrass Day. Not a bad idea.

8. Re: Keeneland in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, May 20, 2013