We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

For those who have dined at all three of these Lexington restaurants, (Jonathan, Metropol, Merrick Inn), how would you rank them by preference?

1. __________________

2. __________________

3. __________________

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
348 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

1-Jonathon-hands down

2-Merrick Inn-never had a bad meal here

3-Metropol-good some times but have experienced wide variations in food and service

However my favorite spot for a good, quiet meal is Bistro 147.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

Interesting. You like Bistro 147 over Jonathan?

I was in there once for lunch and it looked a little rundown. But the food was good!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

........and I should have included Le Deauville in that first post

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
348 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

Well, on second thought probably not over Jonathon's. The food and atmosphere are great there. However I love hole in the wall types of places. The food at Bistro 147 is quite good and I love the eclectic setting.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

Jonathan's, Metropol, Merrick.

Not that Merrick is bad, but I have never been that wowed and I just prefer to go downtown.

I'll give another nod to Bistro 147. I go there on a more consistent basis than any other place. You just can't beat what you get for the money. I did see that they are closed this week and when I walked by they were doing some work on the interior, the walls had been painted white instead of the deep red it had been...perhaps they are just priming. Anyway, a little side note...Giacomo's NY Deli will be open soon just down from the Bistro so maybe that would be a good place for the sandwich TravelingGuy was looking for in an earlier post.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

Interesting, george. I guess I agree with your 1,2,3----although I am getting a little tired of Jonathan's menu.

Where would you put Le Deauville in that list?

I'll try Bistro again soon. I was going to go there on 7/4 but they were closed, as expected.

Thanks for the information about Giacomo's. I'll look for that.......

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
348 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

To me there are 3 components to dining out:

1-food

2-service

3-atmosphere

I can tolerate uneven food if the wait staff is attentive and notices what is going on . Having said this the waiter at Bistro 147 is one of the best waiters i've encountered. The only other person that has stood out like this is when Clay was at Roy & Nadine's. You could ask him what you should have, order it, and never be disappointed. The same is true of the waiter at Bistro. He is honest and will steer you in the right direction.

The service is one thing that keeps Merrick on my list as well. They have very well trained wait staff. They are present when you need them and disappear when you don't.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

TravelingGuy,

I forget about LeDeauville sometimes. I have been there 2 or 3 times and enjoyed it. I will have to say they have the best ambience in town. I may actually prefer it to Jonathan's. I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but my personal favorite may have to be Grotto. I love the atmosphere and that they really emphasize local ingredients.

PS...If you are tired of Jonathan's, have you been to Woodland Grill yet??

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

>>I forget about LeDeauville sometimes. I have been there 2 or 3 times and enjoyed it. I will have to say they have the best ambience in town. I may actually prefer it to Jonathan's.<<

I'm beginning to lean that way as well. Le Deauville has a European cafe feel...and the menu seems more interesting and varied than Jonathan's.

>>........ my personal favorite may have to be Grotto. I love the atmosphere and that they really emphasize local ingredients.<<

Thank you for reminding me about Grotto. A friend recommended that to me long ago and I keep forgetting to go there.

>>If you are tired of Jonathan's, have you been to Woodland Grill yet??<<

Yes. Didn't care much for it.

Lexington, Ky
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jonathan - Metropol - The Merrick Inn

Jonathan's by far. And as far as Bistro 147, I still haven't been there, based on an odd experience a couple of years ago. I called in the early afternoon to see if we would need a reservation for 2 at 7 p.m. The guy seemed a little confused about the concept of reservations, but ended up saying no, it should be fine. We dress up (anniversary dinner), go downtown, only to find it closed! Chairs set up on tables, lights off, closed. At 7 p.m. on a Friday (or Saturday). So we went to Anna Belle's and had a great time.