We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
1,202 reviews
Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

Hello Portugal Experts,

You have been extremely helpful with my Lisbon hotel search and I know where to stay now. I got lucky today and booked a non-stop roundtrip flight from Boston to Madrid for an incredible price, so I am ready to post the very first version of my itinerary version now. Here it is:

4/20/2017, Thu - Flight to Madrid (Iberia)

4/21/2017, Fri - Drive to Segovia (1 h 8 min, 106 km via A-6 and AP-61), explore Segovia and relax. We are OK driving for one hour after the overseas flight - done it in the past many times.

4/22/2017, Sat - Drive from Segovia to Salamanca via Avila, explore Avila, and spend evening in Salamanca

Segovia to Avila (52 min, 67 km via N-110 and AP-51)

Avila to Salamanca (1 h 10 min, 112 km via A-50)

4/23/2017, Sun - explore Salamanca and maybe drive to Zamora (47 min, 66 km via A-66)

4/24/2017, Mon - Drive from Salamanca to Porto stopping at Viseu for a break.

Salamanca to Viseu (2 h 22 min 225 km via Autovía de Castilla/A-62 and A25).

Then drive from Viseu to Porto (1 h 21 min, 127 km via A25 and A1)

Spend evening in Porto

4/25/2017, Tue - Porto (full day)

4/26/2017, Wed - I do know that this day is crazy busy, so what town shall we skip? I love all of them... Maybe to carve some time for Obidos during our stay in Estoril?

Drive from Porto to Estoril (Lisbon) via Coimbra, Batalha, Alcobaca and Obidos

- from Porto to Coimbra (1 h 26 min, 122 km via A1)

- from Coimbra to Batalha - (55 min, 86 km via A1)

- from Batalha to Alcobaca - (24 min, 23.7 km via IC2/IC9 and IC9)

- from Alcobaca to Obidos - (31 min, 40 km via A8)

- from Obidos to Estoril - (59 min, 98 km via A8). Staying at Intercontinental Estoril

4/27/2017, Thu - Lisbon - full day (taking a train from Estoril to Lisbon)

4/28/2017, Fri - Drive from Estoril to Sintra - (13 min, 14 km via A16) explore Sintra all day

4/29/2017, Sat - Drive from Estoril to Evora - (1 h 31 min, 150 km via A2 and A6), explore Evora

4/30/2017, Sun - Lisbon - full day (taking a train from Estoril to Lisbon)

5/01/2017, Mon - Drive from Estoril to Madrid via Badajoz and Telavera de la Reina (6 h 5 min, 642 km)

From Estoril to Badajoz - (2 h 24 min, 242 km via A6)

From Badajoz to Talavera de la Reina - (2 h 45 min, 281 km via A5)

From Talavera de la Reina to Madrid - (1 h 21 min, 119 km via A5)

5/02/2017, Tue - explore Madrid (full day).

5/03/2017, Wed - Flight back to Boston from Madrid

We had already been in Madrid and spent a week just in Madrid. It is our third visit to Spain - we have already visited Madrid, El Escorial, Toledo, Barcelona, Seville, Carmona, Cordoba, Granada, Costa del Sol, Ronda, Arcos de la Frontiera... So all my questions are mostly for the Portugal part of our trip...

Please provide your expert advice and thank you so much in advance,

Nora

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,720 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

Portugal with a spanish rental car, be aware of the highways that have electronic only tools …estradas.pt/documents/1029518/ea7c598f-e24f…

portugaltolls.com/en/…home

There are several spanish toll payment systems that are valid for the portuguese highways, ask your rental.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,720 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

"Drive from Porto to Estoril (Lisbon) via Coimbra, Batalha, Alcobaca and Obidos" The most touristic is Óbidos and since you're going to drive to Spain through Alentejo I would cut this stop.

"4/29/2017, Sat - Drive from Estoril to Evora - (1 h 31 min, 150 km via A2 and A6), explore Evora" why? You are returning to Spain by this highway it makes little sense to go to Évora while in Lisbon...

For me the logical would be

4/29/2017, Sat - Lisbon

4/30/2017, Sun - Drive from Estoril to Evora - (1 h 31 min, 150 km via A2 and A6), explore Evora. Overnight.

5/01/2017, Mon - Drive from Évora to Madrid via Évora Monte (tiny walled village), Estremoz, Elvas (both towns with huge fortifications, Elvas is Unesco Heritage), Badajoz...

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
1,202 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

Hi ptnov64,

This is exactly the information we needed. Thank you so much! Yes, I was thinking about staying overnight in Evora and will certainly revise our plan to do that on 4/30/17.

"5/01/2017, Mon - Drive from Évora to Madrid via Évora Monte (tiny walled village), Estremoz, Elvas (both towns with huge fortifications, Elvas is Unesco Heritage), Badajoz..." - exactly what we need!

Now we need to find a hotel in Madrid with easy access to the airport and also easy directions from A5 to find it late in the evening on May 1st. I hope it will be quiet on the roads as May 1st is a holiday.

The information you sent to me about Portugal toll system is priceless. I will certainly call Hertz talk to them about it: it will be easy as I have plenty of native Spanish speakers at work: they will help me.

Will post my revised itinerary today.

Thanks a million!

Nora

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,720 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

Evora, look at hotel Convento do Espinheiro, it's outside the city, but..

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
1,202 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

I sure will - we want to stay outside the walls with our car. Thanks again, ptnov64!

Your kind and extremely valuable recommendations have made me love your beautiful country already - I do not even know what to expect when I actually see her. So much to explore, so little time... when I look at the photos, I want to see EVERYTHING!

Obrigada,

Nora

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
1,202 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

Convento de Espinheiro looks magnificent! We will be there. Thank you for such a great advice, ptnov64!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,720 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

I'll be there also.. this weekend.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
1,202 reviews
8. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

Enjoy!!! It looks spectacular! I wish I could find something similar for our stay in Porto... we do not mind taking a taxi to the city as long as we have such a gorgeous place to stay in the suburbs...

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,720 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

Have you looked at the Pousada (Palácio do Freixo) and not a palace but with great views overlooking Porto you have the Yeatman hotel.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
1,202 reviews
10. Re: Itinerary for April-May 2017 - Spain and Portugal

Yes, Palácio do Freixo was my first choice. The Yeatman looks spectacular! I will probably finish all the bookings today and start planning the most exciting part: attractions.

Thank you so much, ptnov64!

Get answers to your questions about Central Portugal