We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

Which Corbin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

Hi. We are considering a trip this summer to Kentucky and seek some advice.

We are a family of three; our daughter will be 9-years old when we travel this summer. We are nature lovers and would want to include time to visit both Mammoth Cave National Park and Cumberland Falls State Park during our trip to Kentucky. We would be driving to Kentucky from the Charlotte, NC, area.

While in the Mammoth Cave area, we are considering Cave City, Glasgow or Park City as our base. Any suggestions or advice on which area we should choose?

We'd like to take a couple of cave tours, explore the National Park, and walk the trail to see Cedar Sink. We're considering one of the half-day canoe trips on the Green River offered by Green River Canoeing as well.

While visiting Cumberland Falls, we'd like to see the falls of course and maybe plan our visit around a moonbow time. We're looking for other activities and must-see sights around Cumberland Falls.

How much time should should we spend in both areas? How many days/nights do you suggest in each area? We think the Mammoth Cave and Cumberland Falls areas are about 2 1/2 hours apart. Is this about right?

Are there any other Kentucky spots we shouldn't miss during our trip? We'd certainly be willing to drive to a third "hub" if needed. Are there any cities we shouldn't miss? We aren't interested in the horse-racing industry, so that would be off our list. Sorry. :-)

Thank you in advance for all you help and suggestions!

Jennifer in NC

8 replies to this topic
kentucky
Level Contributor
442 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

Mammoth Cave is a definate must do. We have doen the historic and frozen Niagra tours with our girls age 7 and 10. Both were good, but Frozen Niagra was better. Both times we spent the night in Bowling Green, to have access to shopping, restaurants...I believe we stayed at the Holiday Inn next door to the Convention center.

We live in Corbin about 15 miles from Cumberland Falls. It would be hard to spend more than a day at Cumberland Falls, unless you are big into hiking.

The falls is 100 yards from the parking lot, but there are several miles of trails. The eagle falls trail is good for kids. It is about 1 mile or so if I am remembering correctly

Just so you know, the moonbow is not a guarantee to see. The moon has to be at the right angle, no clouds... Locals say the best time / chance of seeing it is like 2am in the winter months.

Corbin is also home to the original KFC, which also has a litlle museum inside. Worth a trip over if you are already in the area.

2.5 hours seems to be about right travel timewise. That pakway is very nice because there is very little traffic on it.

The hotel at Cumberland Falls is adequate, but not upscale by any means. The Dupont Lodge restaurant is good, especially if you like buffets.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

Additional ideas to consider around the Cumberland Falls area......

The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters offer rafting, kayaking tours, camping etc.

http://www.ky-rafting.com/index.htm

The Big South Fort Scenic Railway offers train rides (out of Stearns, KY)

http://www.bsfsry.com/

The Grove Marina on Laurel Lake (about 10 miles back toward Corbin) from Cumberland Falls offers houseboat & pontoon rentals.

http://www.grovemarina.com/

The Rootbeer Stand in Corbin is an old fashioned drive-in restaurant with great burgers & dogs. Only open in the summer months. Definitely grab a bite there if you have a chance.

urbanspoon.com/r/…The-Root-Beer-Stand-Corbin

roadfood.com/Forums/The-Rootbeer-Stand-In-Co…

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

Oh, and if your trip through Somerset, KY (as you make your way toward the caves) happens to fall on any of these nights: Apr 28, May 26, Jun 23, July 28, Aug 25, Sep 22, there's a large "cruise/car show" that takes place in downtown Somerset. I believe they have as many as 2,000 cars from all over the state. Starts around 1pm and goes for hours.

www.somernitescruise.com/aboutsomernites.html

Edited: 4:24 pm, April 02, 2012
NC
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

Thank you for your suggestions, rucingok.

We thought we would see the falls one day, do one of the raft trips to the falls, plus do a little hiking. Then on our second day in the falls area, we'd like to drive to see the Big South Fork area including Corditz Cove. Would this workable?

Thanks!

NC
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

Thank you, Seagrover, for your reply.

We've looked into Sheltowee Trace Outfitters and think we may do their Rainbow Mist trip. It seems like it would be the best fit for us with our little girl. Any advice on that?

During the Mammoth leg of our trip, we're thinking of taking a half-day canoe trip on the Green River as well.

Thanks for writing with all your suggestions!

Level Contributor
46 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

Definitely a good fit on the rafting trip for you and your girls. I took my nephew a few times when he was young. The one thing I learned was not to go in a time when the river is down (during a drought, obviously, or a long period of no rain). We went once when the river was down there were quite a few places where we had to walk. But that's probably not going to be the case this year with all the rain we've had!

Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

You will love Kentucky we would love to have you at southern grace bed and breakfast

We are 6 miles from Squire Boone caverns, Marengo caves is about 30 miles as is the blue river for canoeing

They are actually i'n Indiana but we are i'n Kentucky and near Louisville and just check us out

Www.southerngracebb.com

kentucky
Level Contributor
442 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip

Glad you are getting some good info. I cannot help you on Big South Fork info or Green river. Although I do no there is a scenic railway over near Stearns KY. We did that a long time ago seems like it was 2- 3hrs.

Reply to: Seeking advice for summer Kentucky trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted