We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canoe down the green river

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Canoe down the green river

Has anyone canoed the green river? any tips? What is the best company to use?

New Buffalo, MI
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Canoe down the green river

We did. We had a wonderful time. We went with Mamomoth cave canoe and Kayak, inc. They are very friendly and helpful. It's a bit of a ride to the river site, in an old, unairconditioned van, where they let you out to go down the river, but the ride back is short. Most of the van trip is in the woods, so it really isn't that hot in the van. If you have car sickness problems, you might want to take something before you get in it. It's curvy and alot of gravel. My small son felt queezy during the trip, but was fine when I put him by the open window. My tips to you would be, be sure and take a small cooler with water to drink. We took the 3.5 hr canoe trip and thought we would be fine and not need any drinks..big mistake!! Wear beach shoes-the surfing shoe kind that is made to get wet and has grips on it, otherwise you will trash your normal shoes-especially if you stop to canoe in the small cave at the beginning. There is a big build up of silt in front of the entryway to the little cave and I lost my sandal in it! It's muddy, so those shoes are worth their weight in gold!! They sell them at the cabin where you sign up for your canoe trip and at Wally world. Also wear sunblock. We got fried. Wear clothing that dries fast, so your butt isn't soaked like mine was when I got back in the van. And most importantly take one of those waterproof cameras. I was kicking myself in the butt for skipping the camera, afraid it would get wet. That is the most breathtaking scenery you will ever see! Be sure and get out and wade in the shallow water and check out the teeny little frogs crawling on one of the last islands before the end of the trail. It is after the swiftest flowing part of the trip..sorry don't remember the mile marker number! My kids went nuts with delight! I want to go again! It was great!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canoe down the green river

I enjoyed this as well! The cave was dry and we didnt want to go in without the canoe, we saw about 6 deer and heard somthing attacking somthing, sounded like a bear!

3. Re: Canoe down the green river

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cave City