We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Overnight in SW Kansas

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Overnight in SW Kansas

Hello, my daughter and I are road tripping from New York to Taos, NM in May. Along the way, we will spend two nights in Kansas City. From there we will stop again for another night somewhere in between KC and Taos. Liberal, Kansas was my first choice, as it is a little more than halfway, but Ulysses also looks good. Googlemaps told me to stay on I-70 into Colorado, but I've been to Colorado, and want to see more of Kansas. We'd like a place with a nice hotel and good food. Any advice? Thanks in advance, Laura

4 replies to this topic
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Overnight in SW Kansas

You are on the right track. I also would take the route to Wichita and us54 from there to Tucumcari via Liberal. Unfortunately I never stayed in Liberal but it has loding galore. Tucumcari, a cute R66 town will be too far for a one day drive imo.

Tet

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Overnight in SW Kansas

Thanks for the input. We're going to go with Liberal - looks like there are plenty of lodging options, a good Italian restaurant, Dorothy's House and a great name!

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
109 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Overnight in SW Kansas

Liberal is the best place given the route you are taking. Quite a bit of lodging choices. Ulysses doesn't have a lot to choose from.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
675 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Overnight in SW Kansas

When on 54, stop in Greensburg. This town was almost entirely destroyed by a tornado and is being rebuild from scratch and green to boot. Hopefully they will have the travelers center open by then. You can visit Old Cowtown in Wichita for a look at original buildings from the 1800's, if it is the weekend they oftentimes have interactive events.

Reply to: Advice on Overnight in SW Kansas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ulysses