We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KC BBQ and museums, parks?

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
KC BBQ and museums, parks?

We will be in Kansas City for 3.5 days, attending a small conference.

My DH and I would like suggestions for some great BBQ restaurants! We love steak and ribs.

Also, can you suggest any museums to visit? Gardens? Anything unique or unusual? We will also want to do some running while in town, preferably a nice park? Thanks for your help!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KC BBQ and museums, parks?

We have several very good art museums, but you can find those in most cities. The unique KC Museums worth a special visit are the National World War One Museum, Jazz & Negro League Baseball Museums and the Steamboat Arabia. The Arabia has blown away everyone whom I have taken there. Also check out the Truman Presidential Library & Museum, and Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farm.

If you ask 10 people for their top 3 BBQ places, there will probably be 20 places listed.

The well known old BBQ places are Arthur Bryants & Gates. Of those, I would select Bryant's at their 18th & Brooklyn location. The hottest more recent place is Oklahoma Joe's. The best upscale is Jack Stack. Both Jack Stack and Joe's have very good product and are good at marketing. All four of these restaurants have multiple locations. Jack Stack offers several varieties of ribs and might be your best choice if you do only one place.

My personal favorites are LC's and Jake Edward's. But in addition to the ones I have already mentioned, there are at least 11 others which I visit at least once a year. KC BQ is not just one style, but a wide variety. Different places are better for different meats or styles peparation. Also what part of town you are in and how far you wish to drive.

KC is sprawls over a huge area. For running, my recomendation would depend on what area you are staying in.

Edited: 10:40 pm, June 12, 2013
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KC BBQ and museums, parks?

Thank you for the great recommendations. Our group has plans to dine at Jack Stack one evening. We like the Jake Edward's suggestion.

Definitely have plans on seeing the WWI Museum, and I have yet to check out the Arabia. What is it that your guests love about this particular museum, if I may ask?

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center. We didn't choose this hotel; it was arranged for the conference. Is it a nice place? Looks enjoyable online. So, any parks nearby for some running or walking? Thank you so much for your help, lighthouselovertoo.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KC BBQ and museums, parks?

The Arabia was an 1856 riverboat which sank with all of its cargo into the mud and it was all preserved. Three families located the boat 60 feet down in a corn field now a half mile from the river. The story of their excavating all of it as amateurs is the start of your visit. They were treasure hunters who were changed by finding the treasure, they didn't want to see the goods broken up and sold, but found a way to privately create this museum. The brief movie telling that story is followed by one of the family members greeting your group and asking questions.

The inventory of what they found is enormous and the job of preserving and restoring the now frozen contents of the boat continues to this day. The displays of hundreds of shoes, implements, caned goods that can still be eaten are fascinating. It is a huge time capsule.

My sister-in-law said that if she lived hear, she would go back every few months.

I've never been in that hotel. It is not well located for parks, but is in a good area for restaurants. There are a cluster of local places on the Missouri side, a few blocks away at State Line Road and 39th Street. I almost hesitate to mention my favorite, becaus many people have developed a poor impression of Mongolian BBQ, but Genghis Khan Mongolian Grill at 39th & Bell is the one by which all the others should be measured. If you happen to end up going out with others from the conference, they do a fabulous job of handling groups. We've shown up there with up to 40.

You are also near the Thomas Hart Benton Home and Studio State Historic Site, and may what to check it out.

The closest place I would try for running is Penn Valley Park - where the WW1 Museum is located.

4. Re: KC BBQ and museums, parks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 22, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City