We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iowa House Hotel - anyone stayed here??

Which Iowa City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodstock, Illinois
Level Contributor
190 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Iowa House Hotel - anyone stayed here??

We will be attending a two day college orientation in June and thinking of staying at this on-campus hotel for the convenience - has anyone stayed here?? Thanks for any info.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iowa House Hotel - anyone stayed here??

Here's a link to reviews of the property on TripAdvisor

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g38020-d610457-…

Woodstock, Illinois
Level Contributor
190 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iowa House Hotel - anyone stayed here??

Thanks, I saw those, just hoping for a few more opinions and some that are more recent, with the exception of the April 15th post.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iowa House Hotel - anyone stayed here??

I have not stayed there, but in terms of proximity, the closest hotels are Iowa House, Sheraton and hotelVetro. The last two are in the very heart of downtown, but it can get loud on Thurs-Sat nights (may be calmer in June, although there will be live music outside until 9 or 10 p.m. on Friday nights.) Sheraton was just renovated this past summer and hotelVetro is a newer boutique hotel. If you are visiting primarily the medical campus, Heartland Inn would also be nearby. Additionally, there are several quality B&Bs in the downtown area if that is more your style.

Woodstock, Illinois
Level Contributor
190 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iowa House Hotel - anyone stayed here??

Thanks, I did see the listings for the B&B's and used to stay in them when I lived in California, I hadn't thought of checking those out. I was just going to do the hotel on campus because it is a two day orientation for my daughter but most of the other parents seem to be staying at the Sheraton. It is for two days and the price was a lot better than the Sheraton - just not sure what to do. Also, my son may be home from college and may want to tag a long so Sheraton would probably be better for him. If anyone knows of any specials for the Sheraton, let me know. I just thought $149 a night was a little high for the area. Thanks so much for your help!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iowa House Hotel - anyone stayed here??

There are a few specials on the Sheraton's website: …starwoodhotels.com/Sheraton_Iowa_City/…

North Chicago...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Iowa House Hotel - anyone stayed here??

This hotel is a converted Dormatory!! The hotel is run primarily by college students. Here is my experience. Upon check-in, the room we reserved was not available, so we were put in a smaller room w/ one full size bed in the corner of the hotel. The desk was held up by 4 cans of dog food! ( yes). We had to get a rollaway bed for our child which allowed for hardly any walking space. They did change our room upon request to two double beds, which was a handicap assessible room??? The room was dusty, and dirty, we had to open up windows to clear out the smell. The carpet was dirty. Room furniture cheap & outdated. NO window treatment, just blinds. Very little decore. Bathrooms small, outdated. ( The rooms are simply dorm rooms) Breakfast room was in a converted classroom, very tiny, small wooden tables& chairs, breakfast included cold cereal, instant oatmeal, toast, juice, watery coffee.

Issues with the computer system upon check in & check out as well.

This place is convenient, but it needs a lot of work to be considered a real hotel.

7. Re: Iowa House Hotel - anyone stayed here??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:00 am, November 14, 2010