We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Foot on Yellow river

Which Dubuque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Storm Lake, Iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Big Foot on Yellow river

Has anyone rented from Big Foot Canoe Rental? It is located at Monona, Iowa. For a girls get away trip we are looking at renting kayak's from there to go down the Yellow River. Would it good for first timers? Thanks for information.

7 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Foot on Yellow river

The Yellow River is great for canoeing/kayaking. You girls should have a lot of fun. I have not been on the Yellow River since I was a Boy Scout many years ago. Beginning canoeists had no trouble. I do not know if the water level gets too low for paddling; you don't want to drag a boat down the river. My brother is the expert, I will see if he has any information about routes and levels when he returns home in a couple of days.

Does Big Foot offer shuttle service? I could not tell from their website: http://www.bigfootcanoerental.com/index.html

Storm Lake, Iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Foot on Yellow river

They do offer shuttle service, also agree that water level needs to be high enough. Thank you for your information.

Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Foot on Yellow river

When are you planning on going?

Storm Lake, Iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Foot on Yellow river

Looking at September 11th,12th maybe even the 13th.

Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Foot on Yellow river

I would call to see how high the water is before your trip.

Storm Lake, Iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Foot on Yellow river

We are in the Dubuque area, is there a better place to kayak? We were going to be a Pike's peak that day and thought we could do 2 different things that day. Any advice?

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Foot on Yellow river

Monona and the Yellow River would be closest. I would kayak there if Big Foot says the water level is OK. Other great kayaking rivers are the Upper Iowa (from Kendallville to Bluffton) and the North Fork of the Maquoketa. I wrote a trip report about canoeing the North Fork of the Maquoketa: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28936-i639-k48698…

Reply to: Big Foot on Yellow river
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted