We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Village Restaurants

Iowa
Level Contributor
213 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
East Village Restaurants

Does anyone have a recommendation for an East Village restaurant. I am taking 12 ladies to lunch there next Monday. Alba looks good, but perhaps a little upscale and pricey for us.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Village Restaurants

Check out Barattas Restaurant in the State Historical Building. Good food, neat view (especially if weather is nice) from the patio - lovely venue for your group.

Iowa
Level Contributor
213 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Village Restaurants

Thanks for suggesting Barattas. I will certainly check that out. Has anyone been to Quintons or Olympic Flame?

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Village Restaurants

Quintons is more of a college type dining environment in my opinion. I stopped in there with my family and was not impressed. do not think that it is what you are looking for. as far as olympic flame is concerned. smallish room not suited for 12 diners. i have gone there with wife or son and have enjoyed the meal but service is casual.

If you like thai food, would suggest that you look at Thai Flavors at corner of e14th and university ave. Food is excellent and luncheon menu offerings are very affordable. am sure they could set up table for your group with some advance notice. not in the east village but not too far off the beaten path.

am thinking that you are looking for a little variety on the menu. if my wife was looking for a place to entertain her friends, Barattas would hit the spot. check out their menu/pricing. They do have a room that you could perhaps reserve if you give them a call and line it up. This is the same group that has the long standing restaurant on South Union; they have the concessio;n for the food at the Historical Building. Salads, sandwichs, etc. and sometimes they have entertainment - musician on the deck.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Village Restaurants

another spot would be the noddle zoo. could be hectic over lunchtime and have not been inside that location to know if they could accomodate your group. personally, i like a little peace and quiet when i am dining with friends and avoid the spots where they get you in but room is hectic with noon hour rush and conversations are hard to hold. FYI.

Iowa
Level Contributor
213 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Village Restaurants

Cobb 88 ...thanks for the great advice.

You have been very helpful.

Des Moines
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: East Village Restaurants

The newest place in the East Village is Zombie Burger...just opened, so I haven't heard much, but the owner/chef is quite well known and regarded. They have specialized burgers and milkshakes, if you're looking to have a more unusual lunch. I think Noodle Zoo, while tasty, would be hard pressed to handle 12 people. And it's an order at the front, wait for the food to be brought out, rather than a waiter-type situation.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Village Restaurants

Another great new spot just down the street from Alba is Luna Bistro in the East Village, it is counter service but great local food in a pretty historic building. Olympic Flame was fine but nothing special, The Continental is highly recommended as well. If you want to venture to Court Ave, Court Ave Brewery is consistently good and reasonable.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Village Restaurants

Check out the Continental, it has tapas (Small Plates) and great mojito. Its a small place but great food for a ladies luncheon.

9. Re: East Village Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 19, 2012