We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2008 State Fair

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
2008 State Fair

My parents and I are coming to Iowa for the state fair this summer--we are state fair fans and thought we would pilgrimage from New England to the land of BIG state fairs! Can anybody help me with the following (and I can't believe I am actually typing this in here, my father owes me one): when is the cow judging, week one or week two? Also, how many days should we set aside for the fair (I do have to get back to my husband and children so it can't be a whole week)? Any suggestions about where to stay (either specific hotels/ b & bs or parts of the city or region)? Other things we should not miss (it might be awhile before we get back to that part of the world)?

Thank you so much.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 2008 State Fair

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions over the past few months. We had a great time at the fair. We stayed at the Comfort Suites in Urbandale which perfectly suited our needs. We enjoyed visiting the Living History Farms right next door.

As for parking, we parked in yards on Grand Avenue which worked out well. As you locals know, the attendance on Day 1 of the fair was record-setting, so we were glad that we skipped the corndog-eating record and went a bit later in the morning! We were parked 4 blocks away the first day and 2 blocks away on Friday, when we arrived at 8 a.m.

We LOVED the fair. Lots more agriculture than the "Big E" in Massachusetts (although we still like that!). Great 4-H exhibits. And we found a new love--Dutch letters!

My only regret is that we did not tour the capitol building. It is impressive!!

Thank you for all of your help. You really made our trip memorable.

Iowa
Level Contributor
399 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2008 State Fair

Glad to hear that you had fun! Did you get your deep fat fried snickers on a stick????

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2008 State Fair

No, but besides the aforementioned Dutch Letter-on-a-stick, we did have the pork-chop-on-a-stick and the boiled-egg-on-a-stick so we feel OK about missing the Snickers bar.

14. Re: 2008 State Fair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Des Moines