We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Terre Haute like?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
What is Terre Haute like?

The famous columnist, Mike Royko once said, "In Indiana, you can go to Indianapolis and die of boredom; or go to Gary and die of multiple gunshot wounds."

Where does Terre Haute fall between them?

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
744 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Terre Haute like?

What does a person do in Terre Haute? Is there a tourism industry like in Logan, Ohio?

Mentioned in this post
Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Terre Haute like?

Actually, of the 3 I'd put Terre Haute at the bottom of the list. I'm not saying come to Gary, but the surrounding areas are nice, not to mention being only 30 miles from Chicago. Indy is a smaller city but there's still plenty to do. I have friends who go camping near Terre Haute, and I suppose if you're just doing a day trip or weekend at the most it would be fine. They have some nice B & B's. But if you're looking for more than 2 days, I'd go with Indy or Northwest Indiana (not Gary). Although parts of Gary such as Miller Beach are beautiful. They're trying to turn it around, it just takes time. A friend of mine is a Gary cop, apparently it's still the murder capital of the US, but that's based per capita. There are a lot less people in Gary than larger cities.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Indiana
Level Contributor
171 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Terre Haute like?

Terre Haute is also known as a smelly city. I'm not sure what kind of factory it is that causes it, but Terre Haute has a distinct odor to it. When you're traveling, you definitely know when you've reached Terre Haute because you can smell it!

Mentioned in this post
Southwest Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Terre Haute like?

You won't be bored in Indy. But alot of people around here go to Chicago for the weekend. I live just south of Terre Haute. I go there to shop. I went to school there. And the place that caused that "bad smell" just shut down today.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Terre Haute
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Terre Haute like?

Terre Haute is not a bad place. It has changed some over the years, and there are things to do there. It is a city that has really cleaned its self up and is really starting to attract people to it. If you are looking for something to do for a weekend there, well depending on what you like to do. In the downtown area there are a few museums in the area. You could visit the Swope Art museum, or the clabber girl museum ( I havent been inside personally). There are also a few art galleries in the downtown area. And if you have kids there is a nice children's museum. There are also alot of nice restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: What is Terre Haute like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Terre Haute
More Terre Haute Topics