We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Do's in South Bend

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Must Do's in South Bend

I'll be stopping over in South Bend for one-night on a cross-country trip. We'll have about 4 hours in the morning to see the city. What are the "must-do's"?

Obviously walking around the ND campus is on the list- is it easy to find visitors parking if we don't stay nearby? We're coming in early June, so no game-day worries. What spots on the campus are the best to hit up?

We would also like to do a run through the Whitewater Park, but other than that our itinerary is open.

Thanks!

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Do's in South Bend

Below I've cut and pasted some items found in another thread. These are ones I would recommend also, although some may not be applicable to you as it appears you have 4 hours in the morning (like a Silverhawks game.) Hope this helps: (By the way-Hacienda is a personal favorite of mine. If you like mexican food, it has reasonable prices and a good southwest or tex-mex menu.)

The Studebaker Museum. www.studebakermuseum.org Get the original Muppet Movie before you go so you can have the perfect line, “A bear in his natural habitat, a Studebaker.”

The Oliver Mansion—Copshaholm—is a wow of a big elegant Victorian house with outstanding docents. A really nice tour. In the city of South Bend, somewhat west of the main business district. See http://www.centerforhistory.org/cops.html

Tippecanoe Place is near by, another big elegant mansion now a very nice restaurant. See www.tippe.com

The East Race--if you want to try some white watering you can do that in downtown South Bend in the summer unless a kayaking event is happening and then it is fun to go and watch. Try The East Bank Emporium restaurant for lunch while there—great décor with views of the St Joe river and there are some cute shops in the same building. See www.eastbankemporium.com On the St. Joseph River's east bank in downtown S B.

We ALWAYS eat at one of the Hacienda Mexican Restaurant branches when there—they have the best wet burrito—get it with extra sour cream and if you like frozen Margaritas, Ole! Their chips and salsa is to die for too. Family friendly and fun, it is an inexpensive and delicious meal.

Go to the beach. Yes that sounds funny since you are from RI but if you drive up to Warren Dunes St. Park in Michigan, (AKA Tower Hill, because of the huge sand dune by that name) about an hour or so from S Bend, you can swim in Lake Michigan. Chilly water and no big waves but a nice day out. This is about 45 minutes east, northeast of South Bend. If you are heading west it might work as the park is off I-94 just north of the line in Michigan. I-94 goes through Chicago.

Go to the zoo. The Potawatomi Zoo. See: www.potawatomizoo.org South Bend’s zoo is charming and Marlin Perkins of the old Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom was a major advisor when they built it. Their display of ring-tailed lemurs is magnificent. You can see the animals up close and personal. Nice.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Do's in South Bend

Thanks very much!

South Bend
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Do's in South Bend

Parking at Notre Dame shouldn't be a problem. The hotel you plan on checking into ask your front desk clerk for a local map. On that local map it will give you a overview of South Bend and Mishawaka along with a map of Notre Dames campus. Refer to the LEGENDS MAP. To get to parking if coming from the east just take EDISON RD. to Notre Dame Ave. Right on ND Ave and parking is on the right. Most people like to visit the Grotto at ND and the ND Basillica. Want trinkets to take home? Visit the Hammes Bookstore which is just west of the visitor parking. Notre Dame do have tours however you will have to call ahead of time to schedule. Those tours take place in the morning.

Since you only have four hours you could probably squeeze in a visit at the College Football Hall of Fame which is located directly across from the Full Service Marriott DT. There is also a little cafe that sits behind the Hall of Fame called the Chocolate Cafe. You can pick up chocolates from the SB Chocolate Factory.

Just FYI about the Hacienda Mexican Restuarant every guest (which weren't many) that I've referred there absolutely did not like it.

I've lived here all my life and they are not authentic mexican and the food is something to be desired. Looking for authentic Mexican try either the Mazatlan or La Esperanza Restuarant. Both close to mishawaka Hotels.

If you do plan on staying at a Mishawaka Hotel you should try a restuarant called "Yesterdays Wine and Spirits". It's local,very casual and their food and desserts are out of this world. Fish, Steaks, Out of this world Prime Rib......I have never ever got a complaint from any of my guests that i have sent there.

My Guests tend to want more local then chain. Tippecanoe is a great choice too, however its not close to the Mishawaka Hotels.

Anyhow Happy Travels!!!!

4. Re: Must Do's in South Bend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 01, 2009