We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel w grandkids dec 29-31 suggestions?

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
828 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Travel w grandkids dec 29-31 suggestions?

We're staying in the Abe Martin lodge and planning on enjoying the park and pool...does Nashville have anything we must see?

6 replies to this topic
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel w grandkids dec 29-31 suggestions?

Nashville is *very* small. Even with just a couple of days, you'll most likely to be able to see "everything," rather than having to be concerned about prioritizing things.

Beyond that, are there any particular interests, desires, etc? "Must see/do" is highly subjective; I know there are many things in places I visit that others consider "musts" that would bore me to tears & vice-versa.

If you can give us more information we can give better (specific) suggestions. Even something as little as ages & gender will help us suggest thing you (they) are likely to enjoy rather then a mere laundry list of "the usual suspects" which can be easily found on the web or in free publications. For example, if you're talking boys it doesn't make much sense to suggest a dollhouse shop.

Looking forward to making specific suggestions,

hlo

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel w grandkids dec 29-31 suggestions?

The arboretum at the Opryland hotel is really cool for kids especially the time year you are going. If you do go they will valet park you for free if you eat in one of their many restaurants. There is no admission fee. Good luck.

http://www.offbeattravel.com/opry.html

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel w grandkids dec 29-31 suggestions?

The arboretum at the Opryland hotel is really cool for kids especially the time year you are going. If you do go they will valet park you for free if you eat in one of their many restaurants. There is no admission fee. Good luck.

http://www.offbeattravel.com/opry.html

Edited: 3:45 pm, December 24, 2013
Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel w grandkids dec 29-31 suggestions?

Sorry, I just realized its the Indiana Nashville you inquired about. Pardon my post for the town in TN.

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
563 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel w grandkids dec 29-31 suggestions?

Nashville is mostly shops, few with handcrafted items, others with mass produced house warming type items. There is an old jail building there that is sometimes open for tours. There is also a glass sculpture shop in town, and the owners have a small corner where you can watch them make the glass sculptures/figurines. There is also a rock/mineral store, which is kinda cool. Outside of that, there isn't much else. You might consider a drive to downtown Columbus which is only about 20 mins. away to the east. There they have a small hands-on museum called Kids Commons. Across the street is a community center called The Commons with a three, maybe four story netted play area for kids. I've been to both with younger relatives and I would say that teens likely wouldn't care too much about this stuff. A cool place to check out in Columbus is also Zaharakos Ice Cream parlor. Another short trip might be up to Exit 76 Antique Mall, to check out some old and odd stuff. Also consider Not Just Popcorn in Edinburgh and 240 Sweets (Marshmallow makers, sometimes they have tours) in Columbus.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
828 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel w grandkids dec 29-31 suggestions?

Great ideas....my grandkids are 8,7, and 5....girls and boys....

Reply to: Travel w grandkids dec 29-31 suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted