We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning for Nashville

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
155 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Planning for Nashville

We are planning to visit Little Nashville next month with our 2 y/o. We will be staying a few nights at the Abe Martin lodge, any thoughts on the lodge and its new pool? We are not planning much just mostly relaxing, we would like to hit up the outlets in Columbus one day and check out Nashville the other day. Any tips on places to eat or shop?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning for Nashville

While I've never stayed at the Lodge, I have been there a many times for events, etc over the last 20-30 years. Unfortunately, not since they put in the pool, so I can't give you any specific feedback on it.

I can say the lobby areas are a fairly nice place to hang out and, of course, you're in Brown County Park if you choose to go outside.

As far as eating in Nashville, you'll find your options are rather limited. We like the Hob Nob in downtown Nashville and that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head that we frequent.

You might check out Urbanspoon, there's a fairly good number of votes/reviews for Nashville (so you're aware, Urbanspoon counts Nashville as a "neighborhood" of Bloomington).

You'll find more eating options in both Columbus, which would be convenient on the day you're going to the outlet(s), and/or Bloomington. If you end up eating in Columbus I strongly recommend Zaharakos Ice Cream Parlor. They're in the downtown area and have done a *wonderful* job of fixing it up and it is worth it to just go in & look around (they have a museum portion too). Beyond that you might check out Urbanspoon's Columbus page, here's a link:

urbanspoon.com/n/…

Bloomington is ~20-30 minutes to the west and has a plethora of restaurant choices, just about any cuisine, budget & ambiance you'd want - again - here's the Urbanspoon page:

urbanspoon.com/n/…Bloomington-restaurants

Lastly, for completeness, here's the Urbanspoon page for Nashville:

urbanspoon.com/n/…Nashville-restaurants

As for shopping, you can pretty easily do all of Nashville in (less than?) a day and you'll find the outlets pretty much what you'd expect. There's more shopping in Columbus & Bloomington proper if that appeals to you.

Rather than just naming some shops (which might not interest you at all), I'll ask if there is anything specific you're looking for and/or enjoy checking out in general. I'll try to check back in and if I know of any stores related to things you mention, I'll put in my $.02.

Lastly, if you end up wanting more information on Columbus or Bloomington eating or shopping options, I'll ask that you ask on their forums rather than having subject creep on this thread (as it will place the questions/responses where they will do the most good for others).

Hope this helps,

hlo

Edited: 11:36 am, March 18, 2011
noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
617 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning for Nashville

You will like the pool & indoor water park. We went a couple of years ago & enjoyed it. Though it's small, that is part of what makes it good for younger children. Seems like there are areas with fountains & a lazy river, as well as a hot tub. Have fun.

SB2

INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning for Nashville

Our kids, ages 2-14 loved the indoor pool. It is small, but something unexpected in a park lodge and the slide makes it extra special. We stayed in the family cabins (A+), but enjoyed the comfort of the lodge also. I think Nashville is a little short on good family restaurants. We ate at a Mexican place that was ok. Columbus is not too far away and has much more to offer. The park lodge had a pretty decent breakfast buffet that was good. We would eat there again.

INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning for Nashville

Also, if you like pizza, there is a wonderful little restaurant called Zwanzigz in Columbus. We go there whenever we get a chance.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning for Nashville

Thanks for the feedback. It is especially appreciated on low traffic forums such as Nashville's.

Glad you had a good time and hope you weren't too disappointed with the dining options in Nashville (I tried to warn you).

Thanks for the extra little note about Zwanzigz in Columbus, I'll add that to my list of places to try when I'm over there.

hlo

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
530 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning for Nashville

I've heard good things about the lodge and the pool. As far as the outlets, I only know of two outlets, ones up near Edinburgh, and another, much smaller group of shops, near Seymour. Both are off I-65. The ones in Edinburgh are better than the ones in Seymour.

HLO pretty much gave some Bloomington advice. If your looking for fast food or Applebees type places, there are plenty near the Edinburgh outlets, also Bloomington and Columbus. If you want some good, non-chain pizza, then try Zwanzigz Pizza in Columbus.

Now, another thing you might want to check out in Columbus is Zaharakos restaurant. They call themselves an ice cream parlor, but they are more in line with an Applebees type place. They have organ that plays a short burst of music every 30 mins. They have an attached store that sells candy and other trinkets. Check them out: http://www.zaharakos.com/

As far as Nashville, I have only eaten at three places there: Two different ice cream shops and the pizza place called Harvest Moon. While I haven't eaten at Harvest Moon in over three years, I remember it was good, but I thought it was too pricey for the amount of food you get. Now if we go to Nashville, it we want pizza, we are driving to Columbus for Zwanzigz's Pizza. Good pizza at a fair price. There are a couple of restaurants I wouldn't mind trying in the future.

As far as the ice cream places, nothing really stands out. A little on the pricey side in my opinion, but since the Dairy Queen closed up shop, the handful of ice cream places are the only game in town. There are also a few coffee shops, both of which were decent for hot chocolate.

Nashville, IN
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning for Nashville

That Sandwich Place is a great place for kids, variety of sandwiches include peanut butter and jelly, bologna, hamburgers as well as a great salad (the only thing on the menu that isn't a sandwich)

Miller's Ice cream has homemade ice cream, you can peak in the window and watch it churn.

My kids have always enjoyed horseback riding we have done Rawhide Ranch and the State Park. The State Park pony rides are better suited for a 2 y/o. Be sure and stop and see the Lawrence Family Glass Blowers-twin brothers making some pretty cool stuff out of glass while they carry on a conversation with you.

The Gem Mine is fun too.

Edited: 3:06 pm, April 05, 2011
SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning for Nashville

Well, I'm getting to this party a little late, but I sure like the sandwiches at the Nashville bakery or what ever it's called- by the southern public restrooms.

Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning for Nashville

We like the Havest Moon Pizzaria in Nashville to go with our kids. It's mostly families and has outdoor seating and music usually on weekends.Great Cheesy bread!

Like HLO, we also love the Hob Knob Restaurant in Nashville and The Ordinary is good too, though we only had lunch there.

Have fun!

Edited: 10:45 am, April 09, 2011
10. Re: Planning for Nashville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 27, 2012