We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from BSU to Indianapolis airport

Which Muncie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Transportation from BSU to Indianapolis airport

I have freshman student at Ball State University. In my attempts to make travel arrangements to bring the student home for the holidays, we discovered that Ball State University and the Indianapolis Airport does not have ground transportation between the school and the airport. Lack of transportation, ie. shuttle bus is not keeping up with the growth of the school or the needs of the students. If a student can get on a bus and go to the mall or walmart, then they should be able to get on a bus to the airport. Students are required to rent a car and drive themselves to the airport. You may say what is wrong with that! Well, for one, out of state freshmen students are not familiar with the roads and second, most freshmen are new drivers and in case, don't drive at all. Enough said. The school and the airport should work together to start a shuttle service between the airport and the school.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from BSU to Indianapolis airport

Might want to try this "Travel Dimensions" as recommended by Ball State.

http://www.bsu.edu/pac/transportation/

Travel Dimensions

By appointment, Travel Dimensions will assist students with their travel needs. Travel Dimensions offers transportation to and from the Indianapolis airport. Contact Travel Dimensions at (765) 284-4144.

Once your kid starts there, she/he will likely meet lots of friends from Indy and will be able to catch a ride to the airport for Christmas etc.

When I went there, most of my friends were from Indy. I live near Toronto and was able to catch rides as far as suburbia Detroit.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from BSU to Indianapolis airport

Hi NewtoIN!

I can imagine how frustrating trying to coordinate this is for you!

I think that the previous poster had good suggestions. The transportation company recommended by the university would work if your student can't find another student who is going to Indy at the same time. My guess is that they'll either have a friend who is going to the same place or they'll be able to use the 2007 equivalent of a "ride board" that we used when I was in college.

You said that if a student can get on a bus to the mall, etc. they ought to be able to do the same for the airport. I think that the difference here is that the mall and Wal-mart are in the same town as BSU (Muncie) and the Indianapolis airport is on the far side of another city.

Also, I know the rules are different in different states. Most Indiana students get their driver's license at 16 so they've been driving for two years by the time they get to college. Since the overwhelming majority of students who attend Ball State come from Indiana and other states where students get their license at 16, I have a feeling they just assume that if it's necessary, the students will be able to drive where they need to go. I know that doesn't make it any easier for you, though!

Good luck! I hope this week your son or daughter finds a friend from Indy who will be more than happy to take your student to the airport for the holidays!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from BSU to Indianapolis airport

I knew someone had asked a similar question recently so I checked my past replies. Here's a website I found for them that might help you too.

http://usshuttle.us/CitySelection.aspx

Indiana
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from BSU to Indianapolis airport

I used to go to the Indy airport twice a month, to work in California.

National rentail car at the Muncie had a dropoff rate of about $40.

Indiana
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from BSU to Indianapolis airport

Sorry, I left off the word "Airport"

6. Re: Transportation from BSU to Indianapolis airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Muncie