We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
130 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

Headed to Indy for a convention on Wednesday, My BF and I in our late 40's. We have most of our time taken with the convention however wondering if their are some cool walking sites in the area of where we are staying (Crown Plaza Union Station) Possibly a good mid priced dinner?

(125.00)before tip and no drinks included in that. We have the chains here in Arizona like Capital Grill and Cheesecake factory so something we can't usually get would be nice and we are open to all type of food. Something walking distance as we aren't planning on getting a car. Is this area safe to walk at night or do you suggest a taxi? I don't know much about Indy and this will be my first trip. We do like historical sites and museums. I would love to see the Motor speedway but don't know how far that is? We will be leaving Saturday night. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks for any advice much appreciated!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,608 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

We just had a wonderful weekend in downtown Indy. My wife is from there so we're frequent visitors, but rarely stay in hotel. Downtown Indy is extremely vibrant. Enjoyed a wonderful evening on the Canal Walk. Visited the Ansel Adams exhibit at The Eiteljorg Museum. St. Elmo is the quintessential Indy steak house just a few walkable blocks north. Probably over budget but worth checking out. We had a wonderful dinner one night at Napolese, about four blocks from you. Great breakfast at Cafe Patachou, a few blocks north and few blocks west of your location.

Best time of our trip was an after-dinner evening we spent drinking wine at Tastings wine bar in the Conrad (maybe four blocks north of you). You get a pre-paid card and then pour your own wine from a selection of over 50 wines. Great way to taste your way around the world in two-ounce pours. Get a streetside table if it's a warm night. We also enjoyed a wonderful dinner at The Capital Grille in the Conrad but, as you noted, no reason to replicate what you can do at home.

We travel a ton and, I have to say, our weekend in downtown Indy (where I was giving a speech) was one of our most memorable anywhere. You'll have a great time.

Have fun.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
130 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

Sounds great! I booked a table at St. Elmos already after reading some reviews. Sounds just like what I was looking for. Your suggestions are great! I am glad to hear it is vibrant and we are in a good spot. So no issues walking at night then? I also thought maybe a carriage ride tour of the city could be fun early evening. I don't know if we will have any time outside of the convention but I always like to have a bit of a back up plan as well as a reason to go back again! Thank you so much for your reply!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

Here's a few semi-random comments/suggestions (and answers):

1. The Speedway is ~5 miles from downtown. Given your limited time, lack of car, etc. I'm not sure I'd recommend visiting it. On the other hand it certainly is an "only in Indy" thing.

2. There is the "museum row" located NW of the Convention Center. Besides the Eitljorg, there is also the State Museum and the NCAA Hall of Champions.

3. The museums back up to the Canal which is a nice little walk and there is a pedestrian bridge on the west side that crosses the White River to White River Gardens & the Zoo.

4. Victory Field (minor league ballpark) is located just to the west of the Convention Center and is a very nice ballpark; you might check & see if there is a home game during your stay. We get to a game about every year or two and I've always had a good time (and I'm not a baseball fan).

5. Downtown is very walkable & safe (insert standard big city disclaimer here) I wouldn't worry about walking around even fairly late at night.

6. You might want to check out Mass Ave (locate on NE edge of downtown). There's a nice little mix of (mostly independent) shops, restaurants & bars along a mile or two of this street. I know there are some other forum postings about it at least one of which includes a link to a website with listing of the businesses & a map.

7. Fountain Square is an up & coming area a little bit SW of downtown. Ditto about a link to info on another thread. Not as much stuff as Mass Ave, but some things that are fairly unique (like a duckpin bowling alley & a ballroom)

(Sorry I'm too lazy to provide the links right now).

8. St. Elmo's is certainly an iconic Indy restaurant, but there are many other good ones too. I use Urbanspoon as my "go-to" restaurant site (Indy has the critical mass of users that make crowd sourcing worthwhile). There is also Yelp (which I avoid if possible for lots of reasons, but others swear by) and, of course, TA (but I don't know anyone who uses TA as their primary source for restaurant info, again for lots of reasons).

Here's a link to the Urbanspoon page for Indy (i've got that one bookmarked so it was easy to post):

urbanspoon.com/c/40/Indianapolis-restaurants…

If you decide to check it out concentrate on the "Wholesale District" neighborhood as that is closest to your hotel, but you also might want to look at Downtown (which is a little bit to the north) and Mass Ave.

9. Shapario's (a deli) is another iconic Indy restaurant. Located to the south of your hotel, maybe a half-mile or so.

10. The downtown mile square (bounded by North, South, East & West Streets) has a flat fare for taxis. Don't remember what it is, but thought I'd mention it. That said, I think you'll find plenty to do within an easy walk of your hotel.

11. There's a downtown culture trail that passes public art areas, etc. Again, think there is a thread with a link to a website about it.

That's all for now, hope it helps,

hlo

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
130 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

Yes!!! Thank you! I am an urbanspoon fan! I do use the TA resturant reviews mixed with yelp and urbanspoon for the back up! Thank

You again for

Your reply!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

Got a few minutes . . . here are some links.

1. Mass Ave:

www.discovermassave.com/

2. Fountain Square:

www.discoverfountainsquare.com

3. There is certainly plenty of things to do in downtown, but thought ou might want to look into Broadripple for possible nightlife. It's up around 62 Street & College so you're definitely talking a cab ride, but thought it was still worth mentioning:

www.discoverbroadripplevillage.com/

Glad you're finding things helpful,

hlo

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
25 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

Any cool outdoor dinning locations for lunch in Indy, Mass Ave, Fountain Square, downtown. Any other suggestions for maybe a nice stroll outside?

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
25 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

Any cool outdoor dinning locations for lunch in Indy, Mass Ave, Fountain Square, downtown. Any other suggestions for maybe a nice stroll outside?

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

There's some places along Mass Ave that put tables outside in warm weather. Another option could be Broadripple - lots of dining options and a very cool area to walk around and look at all the boutique shops independent stores.

Any particular type of food you're after?

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
25 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

So love Broadripple, need to stay downtown. Open to any kind of fare, as long as it is good. Atmosphere is kinda a big deal to me as well.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Indy for a few days..... suggestions please

I suggest you try Urbanspoon (my go to restaurant site). One of their filters is for outdoor seating.

I'd start with the Wholesale Distict and then maybe Downtown, Mass Ave, or anywhere else where you think you'll be. I'd give a link, but I'm on my phone so it's a pain.

I think you'll find a fair number with outdoor seating and a variety of cuisines, price-points, etc.

Hope this helps,

hlo