We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NCAA Men's Basketball Midwest Regional - links & tips

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
898 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
NCAA Men's Basketball Midwest Regional - links & tips

The NCAA Men’s Basketball regional will be held Friday and Sunday (March 28/30) at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Here are some links and general notes if you are coming in for one or more of the games.

Here is the schedule for the games: Michigan vs. Tennessee start at 7:15 Friday night, followed by Kentucky vs. Louisville

Free to the public, open practices in Lucas Oil Stadium are scheduled Thursday: Noon Tennessee; 1 p.m. Kentucky; 2:10 p.m. Michigan; 3:10 p.m. Louisville

Here is a link to a page with schedules and other information including a link to purchase tickets.

indianasportscorp.org/events/events-calendar…

The Indianapolis High School Athletic Association boys basketball state finals are Saturday at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse. There are two sessions of two games each: 10:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Of note to Kentucky fans is the Class 4A championship game that will tip around 8:15 Saturday night involving Indianapolis Tech. Trey Lyles, a Kentucky signee for next season, is a member of the Tech team.

Here is a link to Ticketmaster’s page for the Saturday nigh session – it notes “not many left”

ticketmaster.com/IHSAA-BOYS-BASKETBALL-FINAL…

You can find a lot about downtown Indianapolis here at the Indy Downtown Inc web page

http://www.indydt.com/

Some hints about visiting our fair city:

Monument Circle is a great place to walk around (the intersection of Meridian and Market). You don’t want to drive through it, especially on Friday. Traffic jams abound.

Friday will be a crazy day downtown, more so for those of us working. Turns on the surface streets downtown will be hard to make. Lots of foot traffic means a very hard time making those turns. Ideally you find a place to park your car and you walk.

Spring is coming late here, just as it across most of the Midwest and Northeast. Most of the snow piles are gone, but there isn’t much green or color around.

There is a cheerleading competition at the Convention Center on Saturday and Sunday. As if there wasn’t already enough going on downtown.

I’m going to stock up on an extra supply of patience for getting around down here Friday at work and Saturday for the high school basketball. I think I’m going to need it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NCAA Men's Basketball Midwest Regional - links & tips

So would this weekend be a bad time to be in Indy if you aren't going to the games? Like just to children's museum and zoo? Is it just nuts all around?

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
898 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NCAA Men's Basketball Midwest Regional - links & tips

My take would be downtown will be nuts. I think the Children's Museum would be fine. Zoo should be as well, although being close to the corner of downtown with the games traffic around the zoo could be heavy Friday evening. But I think you would be fine for both on Saturday.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NCAA Men's Basketball Midwest Regional - links & tips

I certainly agree with the Children's Museum. It's not that close to downtown and doesn't exactly appeal to the same demographic as the NCAA Tournament.

I also agree that while the Zoo doesn't appeal to the demographic either, it is close enough to downtown, the stadium, etc. that there might be some traffic issues. I think if you enter & exist the Zoo from the west side (avoiding the main part of downtown) *and* made efforts to ensure you aren't arriving at the same time as game traffic is arriving and/or leaving . . . it's probably going to be okay. That said, I would be mentally prepared for traffic delays (and prepare the kids too).

What I *would* avoid is the core of downtown and especially regarding eating. I'd say eat *before* you get near the Zoo, *after* you get away from the Zoo, and/or at the Zoo itself. I wouldn't suggest just trying to bop over to downtown & grab a quick bite to eat.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NCAA Men's Basketball Midwest Regional - links & tips

Thanks everyone. We've decided to come another weekend when our options are more open! I appreciate the feedback!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NCAA Men's Basketball Midwest Regional - links & tips

Gee, posting on a thread that's nearly a year old AND self-promotion/advertising. Fail!

hlo

6. Re: NCAA Men's Basketball Midwest Regional - links & tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 07, 2016