We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim meet at IUPUI natatorium

Murray, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Swim meet at IUPUI natatorium

Need hotel suggestions for January swim meet at IUPUI. Thanks!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swim meet at IUPUI natatorium

First, welcome to the TA forums!

Second, pretty much any downtown hotel will do well for IUPUI. Some better than others (especially if you're wanting to walk), but none will be bad. Plus, they come with all downtown Indy has to offer (walkability to restaurants, shopping, museums, etc.).

Now they have their drawbacks (price, parking costs, etc.) that might make you want to consider other areas.

Bottom Line: I think what you'd prefer in a hotel (location, price, "style," amenities, etc.) needs to be part of the "calculation" as well as what you'd like to do (if anything) beyond your event. From a location standpoint just about any downtown hotel will do and the above factors will help narrow your focus.

If you can provide more info (which is basically always a good idea with questions on the TA forums, leads to more & better responses), we can make some specific suggestions. Without more info, I'd simply say book something downtown. None of them are to be avoided.

hlo

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swim meet at IUPUI natatorium

Hey Pam! Not sure what meet you'll be coming in for, but my daughter will likely be swimming it also! She swims for Flashes Aquatics. If you've never been to the IUPUI Nat... it's awesome. I'm going to assume you'll be coming in from Kentucky, and most likely not looking to spend a fortune for downtown?? My suggestion would be for you to look at the I-65 and Southport Road area. There are a few choices for basic rooms. Travel to and from the Nat would be easy - just right up I-65 to downtown - about a 15 minute drive. There are also a few choices off of I-65 at Greenwood (Main Street exit). Just a little longer drive to downtown - maybe 20-25 minutes, but also easy on/off. Unlike the downtown hotels, you won't have to pay for parking and will be a little easier on the budget.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swim meet at IUPUI natatorium

And here you see responses that may/may not be "appropriate" for your situation.

From your original post we don't really have an idea of any budget/price sensitivity, how many "stars" you prefer (or not) in a hotel, and/or how you might weigh convenience, other things to do nearby, etc. into your cost/benefit calculations (as well as things like any brand/'frequent flyer" loyalty). I generally agree that something along/near I-65 in the general Greenwood area makes sense if you don't want to stay downtown for whatever reason (for the reasons Dean gave).

A few other quick comments:

1. Deals can be had on downtown Indy hotels via Hotwire/Priceline. Now it all depends on demand for you dates, but I can say that I routinely (although somewhat irregularly) get discounts in the 20-40% range (off of rack rates) when using these to get downtown hotels. I've done as well as 60%, but that appears to pretty much to have been a one-time "fluke." Now using these blind sites raises a whole set of issues (not that least of which is that you pay up-front and it's non-refundable, so if you plans change you could be screwed) and you need to know what you're doing overall. That said, unlike many cities, if you book something in the downtown Indy area on either Hotwire or Priceline, you don't have to worry that you'll get something that is completely unacceptable (i.e. flea-bag flophouse type place). Sure, some aren't as nice as others, but there aren't any that should absolutely be avoided.

2. Parking. If you stay away from downtown, you'll still have to pay for parking when you drive in. Depending on the details of your plans (when & how long you park, whether you'll drive someplace else during the day, etc.), exact dates, exactly where you'll park, etc, this could end up being close to (more?) than you might pay to park at a downtown hotel. At least some of this is based on the fact that hotel parking is typically a daily rate with in/out privileges whereas most other parking you'll be paying at an hourly rate (which can be skewed to cost more/less for short versus long term, etc.).

That's it - still hoping you'll do a little "fill in the blanks" so we can make specific suggestions,

hlo

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
529 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swim meet at IUPUI natatorium

If you want to stay downtown, the closest places are:

The JW Marriott complex. Includes the JW Marriot off west street, and a Courtyard by Marriot and Fairfield Inn by Marriot off of Wash. St.. There is a fourth hotel as well, all part of the same complex. You can walk through White River State Park to the natatorium.

East of campus off of New York Street is another Courtyard by Marriott and a Residence Inn.

If you want to stay out of downtown, read DeanK's response.

5. Re: Swim meet at IUPUI natatorium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 09, 2014