We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

I am in the process of planning my proposal to my girlfriend. I am looking for an intimate place with a great view of the city where we can eat a three course meal that I plan on preparing for her. A friend will bring her along on some pretext, and will also wait on us as we eat. My ideal would be the top of a skyscraper (I know, I know, I'm a dreamer...) but that may be tough to line up, and also this will probably happen in mid April, which means it would probably be way to cold to be outside. I don't know Indianapolis at all, but I am hoping that there are hotels/apartment complexes that might have a room with a view that can be rented? Or maybe someone can just let me in as a favor... ? Really, I'm just looking for a place we can eat together alone that has a really cool view. I'm not looking for a restaurant, because I would like to make the food myself. If anyone can help me, I'd be sincerely grateful!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

Well . . . you're right, this is a little bit of an oddball question with some "non-standard" requirements.

The first (and currently only?) idea I have is to check with the new JW Marriott. It's the newest and one of the nicest of the downtown hotels; also 99% certain it is the tallest. (It was built for the Superbowl.) I've not even been in it yet, but that's the first place I'd check. While I don't know what is on the top few floors, I am certain they have a good view of the city.

Actually got a second idea while typing the above. Also check out the Conrad. It is also one of the newer and fancier hotels. Again, don't know the details of what's on the top few floors (and don't think it is nearly as tall as the JW Marriott), but it's probably worth asking them.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, I'll post again if I happen to think of anything else,

hlo

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

Wow, thanks for the help! I will definitely check on both of those. I always find it cool when people you don't even know are willing to help you out, with no benefit to them. So thanks!

Andrew

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

Hey, thanks for the thanks and your attitude. All too often we see people complain when they don't get a quick answer, the one they want, or something else. (As you pointed out from total strangers willing/wanting to offer what help they can.)

Believe me, getting these sort of thanks make it more worthwhile,

hlo

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

My thought was the Alexander. It doesn't have as many floors as the Marriott or the Conrad, but they do have some rooms with kitchens. I believe they are the rooms with the word "residence' in their description.

http://www.thealexander.com/

Good Luck!

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
153 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

Mid April shouldnt be bad. The weather is finally starting to get nice. Should be somewere from the mid to high 60s. The Hyatt has the Eagles Nest. Ive never been up there but I thnink theres an observation deck. The Eagles Nest is Indianas only revolving resturant. Worse case after dinner you alway go up and have a drink. But its only 268 feet and 22 floors. The JW Marriot is the tallest hotel and the 7th tallest building in Indy at 376 feet and 34 floors. The JW has great views but its pricey.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

A less expensive option would be the Sheraton with a view of the circle. Don't ask for a suite, they're on the wrong side of the hotel. If you tell the hotel you want to propose they will probably set you up with a room towards the top. It won't be a view of all of downtown, but it'll be a killer view of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument which is the center of downtown.

Indy
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

I think your lowest risk bet, though maybe the most expensive would be the new JW Marriott as noted above - I would give them a call and see what they can do for you. It's a very nice hotel and is on the western periphery of downtown so you should have a good view looking to the east towards downtown.

8. Re: Secluded place with a view of the city where I can propose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 03, 2014